ALEXANDER, MAINE PLACE NAMES
Prepared by John Dudley - 2013
Place names often tell a bit about local history; but sometimes lead
to questions. This list will help readers of the web site orient
themselves in their travels around town. If you have answers, or
more questions, e-mail John Dudley at 216 Pokey Road “Tuf End”
Alexander ME 04694
ADDISON PLACE: About ¼ mile north of the Airline and ¼ mile west of
the South Princeton Road is a blueberry field with a cellar. That
marked the home of James Addison, the 1870 resident. Addison rented
from the original settler, Nathaniel Merserve.
AIRLINE ROAD: Often simple called the Airline, this name for Route 9
comes from the Airline Stage Company that ran a stage coach along
this road between Bangor and Calais from 1857 to 1887. This is the
major east – west highway in town and in this part of Maine. (See
ALEXANDER: This town and our neighbor to the east were named for
Alexander Baring of the Baring Brothers Bank in London. The name was
applied to this township before incorporation 1825.
ARM ROAD: The source of this name is a mystery. At one time it ran
from Tylers Corner on the Cooper Road to the Airline near the Church
in Crawford. The eastern part was once the County Road and the
western part in Alexander today is named the Crawford Road. Also the
part in Crawford today is named Crawford Arm Road.
BAILEY HILL: Named for Civil War soldier Isaiah Bailey, this is the
hill east of Four Corners and west of Meadow Brook.
BAILEY ROAD: Likely original name for ARM ROAD westerly from TYLER
CORNER past the home of early settler Nathaniel Bailey [1773 – 1853]
and his wife Mary Frost. Their home was on lot 77.
BARROWS LAKE: This lake is in the southwest corner of Alexander,
Deeds, census records and other sources give no hint to the source
of the name. Its area is 1.13 Square miles. This lake is in the East
BEAR BROOK: There are twenty-seven brooks that bare this name listed
in Stanley Attwood's Length and Breadth of Maine. The one in
Alexander is not listed. Ours rises in a bog in Alexander, crosses
under the South Princeton Road south of Taylor Hill, and dumps into
Pocomoonshine Lake in Princeton southeast of Clark’s Landing.
BERRY ROAD: Named for Nellie Berry, this public road goes from the
Flat Road east to the top of the hill where Nellie lived. As a
private road it continues to camps on Meddybemps Lake.
BIG GOODHUE: A 1280-acre woodlot located north of the Airline,
officially lot # 27. Likely this and LITTLE GOODHUE (lot 26 and 320
acres) were named for owners Stephen and Thomas Goodhue of Worcester
and Lowell Massachusetts. Ebenezer Hanscom of Crawford sold the
larger lot to Stephen Goodhue on August 6, 1835.
BLACKS ROAD: What we know call Route 9 or the Airline Road was named
for a time in our history after William Bingham’s second land agent
BREAKNECK MOUNTAIN: No story exists of a man breaking his neck on
this mountain. Was it an ox? Breakneck Hill on the Airline in Day
Block is named for the stage driver who died there. The peak of this
glacier made mountain is about 700 feet above sea level. The
mountain was once home to a community of settlers, complete with
school and cemetery. Now it is mostly blueberry land.
BREAKNECK ROAD: Today this road runs from Grange Hall Corner (Route
191) in Cooper to South Shore Road by Pleasant Lake in Alexander. It
goes over the mountain of that name. Originally its Cooper end
started at Frost Corner on the County Road and went to Sears Corner
on the Arm Road in Alexander.
BURNT BARN HILL ROAD: This discontinued leaves the Cooper Road
across from the Cedar Schoolhouse and runs west to Breakneck Road.
It was at the top of the first hill that Seth Damon’s barn burned.
CARLOW FLAT: This is on Breakneck Mountain, west of the road over
the mountain and near the north forested part. Named for the family
that lived here ca 1900.
CEDAR: This name applied to a neighborhood from the top of Gooch
Hill to the Cooper line, to the Post Office that served the area,
and to the schoolhouse that still stands at 580 Cooper Road. Belle
Carlow was the postmaster and the PO was at her house at 589 Cooper
CHASE BROOK ROAD: Created by developer Robert Hazelwood, this is
accessed via Meddybemps Shores Road and parallels the lakeshore.
COOPER ROAD: This road runs from the Airline by Lanes Brook south to
the Cooper town line. In Cooper the road is called the North Union
Road, a name that once was used in Alexander. The North Union was a
school district that included scholars from both towns. (See County
COUNTY ROAD: County roads connected the shiretown (Machias) to the
parts of the county. The name County Road is found all around Maine
and New Brunswick. Even today most Maine counties maintain county
roads. Route 191 from East Machias to Grange Hall Corner in Cooper
approximately follows the original County Road. At Grange Hall
Corner the County Road followed the Breakneck Road up to Frosts
Corner then down the where the North Union School once stood. From
there the County Road followed the North Union Road and Cooper Road
northerly to the Airline, hence up the McArthur Road with the plan
to go on to Princeton. However the backside of Kendall Mountain was
steep and a great bog was beyond that convinced the locals (who were
building the road) and the County Commissioners that the route
should be changed. Thus after the 1820s the County Road went
westerly from Tylers Corner for almost a mile (on the Arm Road),
north about 1 mile on the Old County Road and another 2 miles along
the South Princeton Road then northeasterly on that same road to
present day Route 1 in Princeton.
CRAWFORD ROAD: A new road was built ca 1990 by Carleton Davis
between the south end of the Davis Road and the Arm Road at Sears
Corner. That new road and the Arm Road westerly to Crawford was
named Crawford Road.
DAMON SET OFF: A strip of land on either side of the Cooper Road
just before the present Cooper/Alexander town line. The set off is
one mile long (east to west0 and 50 rods wide. This was in Cooper
until February 22, 1838. John K. Damon of Cooper wanted his farm set
off into Alexander and the Maine Legislature approved the change.
DAVIS ROAD: named for its builder and first owner, Carleton E.
Davis, this road runs south from the Airline about a mile west of
the Four Corners to Pleasant Lake Camp Ground that Carleton
developed on the west shore of Pleasant Lake. Carleton sold camp and
house lots along the road, and eventually sold the road to the town.
DEAD STREAM: this stream rises in the valley between Burnt Barn Hill
and Breakneck Mountain. When early settlers built a straight-line
road between Gooch Hill settlement and Breakneck, they built an
earthen dam upon which the road crossed. It appears that the dam
also directs more water down Dead Stream, instead of down a steep
brook to Pleasant Lake. Several mill sites are located along the
stream before it dumps into the Dennys River in Cooper.
DILL HILL: Same as Hunnewell Hill, named for Dill family that
married into the Hunnewell family about 1895.
DISTRICT 1: This term refers to School District 1 which was where
pupils attended the Four Corners Schoolhouse located at 1719 Airline
Road. These district numbers changed over time; these numbers are
from 1910. Details about these schools are found on this web site
under Community Life – Education – One Room Schools.
DISTRICT 2: This term refers to School District 2 which was where
pupils attended Hale Schoolhouse located at 76 Cooper Road. This
district and schoolhouse had several other names over the years. The
building was built in 1840 for the NorthEast School District. It was
called the Lower District being lower then Four Corners. It once
carried the name Townsend School after Manly Townsend and family.
The building was our fire hall and today id a storage garage for
DISTRICT 3: This term refers to School District 3 which was where
pupils attended the Loverin District Schoolhouse located on the east
side of the Robb Hill Road. Two buildings were at the site at
different times. Joseph Loverin pioneered a farm across the road.
Alfred Perkins was the last to farm there, thus in the twentieth
century; some used the name Alf. Perkins District
DISTRICT 4: This term refers to School District 4 which was where
pupils attended Cedar School house located at 580 Cooper Road. This
was built in the early Twentieth Century and after 1957 was used for
religious purposes and more recently as a private home. Nineteenth
century pupils of this neighborhood attended North Union School in
Cooper or Districts #2, #5 or #6 in Alexander.
DISTRICT 5: This term refers to School District 5 that was where
pupils attended a schoolhouse on the Breakneck Road. It is possible
that school was held in private homes before and after the existence
of the schoolhouse. Since school did not keep the same terms in the
various districts, some scholars would attend school in a
neighboring district. Yola Crosby, a Cooper resident of the North
Union District, attended Cedar School (District 4) some winter terms
when North Union school was closed. Being the last child in her
family, and only one still at home, she wanted sociability.
DISTRICT 6: This term refers to School District 6 which was where
pupils attended the schoolhouse where the Breakneck Road once left
the old Arm Road, near Sears Corner. Like the Breakneck School, we
have only a general idea of its location.
DWELLEYS LAKE: John W. Dwelley and his sons ran the mill at the foot
of Pleasant Lake. For a time the lake carried their name.
FISH HOUSE LANE: This short private way serves three camps west of
Pokey Road. From ca 1900 to ca 1935 Fred Harriman had a fish house
on the shore of Pocomoonshine Lake where he processed fish to ship
fresh to the Boston market. The fish were transported by wagon, then
truck along this road and to Woodland where they were loaded onto
FLAT ROAD: This public road runs southerly from the Airline across
from the cemetery for just over a mile. From there it continues as a
private road to and along the shore of Meddybemps Lake. See
FOUR CORNERS: This names the neighborhood where the County Road
intersects with the Airline. Today the name South Princeton Road is
the north arm of this corner and an abandoned road is the south arm.
The neighborhood has been the site of a schoolhouse, a church, four
stores, a ball field, a sand/salt shed, a cemetery (now abandoned),
a motel, a blacksmith shop and several homes.
FOWLER POINT: Judge Fowler of Calais had a camp on this point during
the first quarter of the past century. It is on the gravel esker
that runs from north of our cemetery, is the Sand Hill of the
cemetery and is the flat land along the flat Road. A hole in this
esker was washed away by Sixteenth Stream so the water could get
into Meddybemps Lake. That action created Fowler Point. The esker
appears south of this gut, only to be broken again by water from
GOOCH HILL: Located of the Cooper Road, this carries the family name
of two of Eben Gooch’s sons, John and Joel who resided west of the
road, having moved from their parents home on Breakneck Mountain.
The steep part is just south of Pleasant Lake. Most glacier hills
have a steep north slope.
GOOSENECK ROAD: This name was used for the southern part of the Flat
Road, maybe the private part.
GREEN HILL ROAD: This road has a gravel start in Alexander, on the
Cooper Road at the south edge of town. It serves two addresses in
Alexander and two in Cooper before it becomes a trail through the
woods and swamps until it reaches Green Hill in Meddybemps. That
Green Hill, a huge blueberry field, was Northeast Ridge in Cooper
until 1842. From Green Hill to Route 191 near the Village of
Meddybemps the road today is gravel. The road was used commonly
HALE SCHOOL: This school was originally for the Northeast School
District. The land and building was deeded to the town in 1841.
After more than a century as a schoolhouse, it was our fire hall
from 1956 to 1994 when the new fire station was occupied. It still
stands at 76 Cooper Road as a privately owned garage. The Hale name
has not otherwise appeared in Alexander records.
HARWOOD LAKE: Pleasant Lake with another name, this one was a mill
owner in Machias. His name is on a Machias street and on the Masonic
HENDERSON SWAMP: On the Cooper Road, just north of Spring Hill. This
low place in the road is where Meadow Brook used to flood and close
the road to traffic. This is named either for Levi Henderson who
lived at the corner of the Cooper and Arm roads (Tyler Corner) or
for his blacksmith son Walter whose home was the first going up
Spring Hill on the east.
HUFF ROAD: Named for early settler John Huff or his son Claudius,
this lot line road once ran from the Arm Road to north of the
Airline. Today we see it as the north – south part of the Arm Road,
as part of Frank Williams’ driveway, and along the edge of the
blueberry fields on either side of the Airline, east of Mr. Ed’s
HUNNEWELL HILL: The short but steep hill on the South Princeton Road
about ¼ mile northeast of the Pokey Road intersection. Named for the
family that lived in the area since the mid nineteenth century. The
hill was so steep that cars and trucks in the old days had to back
up the hill to get the gravity fed gasoline from the tank to the
JOHNNY GATE: John and Margaret (Blaney) McLaughlin lived on the west
side of Pokey Road from ca 1864 to ca 1900. After they left, the
whole area was fenced as a pasture. The gate, or set of bars, is
long gone but for the memory of a few old folks.
KENDALL MOUNTAIN: This remnant of the last glacier stands in the
north central part of town. The top is about 600 feet above sea
LANES BROOK: This brook rises on Kendall Mountain, goes under the
Airline by the intersection of the Cooper Road, under the Spearin
Road and dumps into Sixteenth Stream. In the mid nineteenth century,
Lanesbrook was the neighborhood near the brook and the name of a
post office located there. The name must come from early resident
LANES HILL: The hill on the Airline between Lanes Brook and Meadow
LONG CROSSING: The corduroy road crossing a long swamp on the
Airline Road near the eastern side of town. This section of road was
bypassed when the road was rebuilt in 1991
LOVERING DISTRICT: This school district included the neighborhood
east from the cemetery on the Airline and the homes along the Robb
Hill Road. on both sides if the town line. The road also was once
named for Joseph Lovering who lived up hill from the school, on the
LYONS ROAD: This road, also called the Thistlewood Road, ran north
from the Airline on the east side of Lanes Brook. The road today is
named the McArthur Road, after that family. But a short private road
that intersects with the McArthur road at the end carries the Lyons
Road name because it passes by the old Greenwood Lyons house site.
MAINE RIVER: This river is about five miles long including the Mud
Lakes. It flows from Pocomoonshine Lake to Crawford Lake.
MCARTHUR ROAD: Historically known as the Lyons Road or the
Thistlewood Road, The selectmen chose to use the McArthur name in
memory of early resident Fay McArthur and his family.
MEADOW BROOK: This brook flows off Kendall Mountain, under the
Airline between Bailey Hill and Lanes Hill, under, and occasionally
over, Cooper Road at a place called Henderson Swamp. Meadow Brook
then continues southeasterly and dumps into Sixteenth Stream.
MEDDYBEMPS HEATH: Designated as a National Natural Area, it is in
Alexander, Cooper and Meddybemps. The name Meddybemps comes from the
Indian term for place of alewives.
MEDDYBEMPS LAKE: This lake, at 12.4 square miles, is the 19th
largest lake in Maine. It lies in Alexander, Baileyville, Baring and
Meddybemps. It is part of the Dennys River watershed.
MEDDYBEMPS SHORES: A development on the eastern side of town in lots
73, 74 and 128. It is reached off the Airline by MEDDYBEMPS SHORE
ROAD that ends near the Baileyville town line.
MUD LAKE: Actually there two, Upper and Lower on the Maine River
between Pocomoonshine and Crawford Lakes. They are each about ¼
square mile in size
NELLIE BERRY ROAD: (See Berry Road)
NORTH UNION ROAD: At a time the road south from the Airline to route
191 was all called by this name, Today we call the Alexander part
Cooper Road and in Cooper they use this earlier name.
OLD COUNTY ROAD – OLD COOPER ROAD: These two names refer to an
abandoned road that runs from the Four Corners on the Airline to the
Arm Road. Several settlers lived along this road prior to 1830.
PINE RIDGE ROAD: Name given to the Flat Road as it runs along the
gravel esker the to serve 19 camp lots developed in 1959. These
50-foot wide lots were for sale by Carl Peterson of Calais.
PINE TREE SHORE: This private lane runs easterly from the Pokey
Road. It is named for the ca 1970s development it serves on
PLEASANT LAKE: An old name and again the name of the lake that is
just west of the Cooper Road, north of Gooch Hill. This lake has had
many names and today has many residences along its shores. It is ½
square mile in size. Water in this lake flows down Sixteenth Stream
to Meddybemps Lake and on down the Dennys River to the ocean.
POCOMOONSHINE LAKE: Most of this lake is in Princeton. The name is
not Passamaquoddy. Here is a name that is a good question. (See
Shining Lake). Its area is 4.17 square miles. Pokey is the head
waters of the East Machias River.
POKEY ROAD: This road runs north from the South Princeton Road and
got its name from the lake at its north end.
ROBB HILL ROAD: This abandoned road runs north from the Airline to
the top of Robb Hill. It roughly follows the town line between
Alexander and Baileyville and once had a few homes in each town. The
Robb family lived at the end of the road.
SAND HILL: The hill is on the Blacks Road (Airline) where the
Alexander Cemetery is located. Part of a glacial esker that runs to
Meddybemps Lake (see Pine Ridge Road).
SEARS CORNER: The Arm Road, after going westerly from the Cooper
Road takes a ninety degree turn to the south where lots 76, 77, 85
and 86 meet. The original Arm Road went south for about ¾ of a mile
and turned west. Where it turned west another road went east then
southerly to Breakneck Mountain. This intersection is called Sears
Corner after Civil War Soldier John Sears who lived on settler
William Crockett’s farm. Crockett’s home site and the school site
are on what we call the Crawford Road in 2012.
SHAY FIELD: Merle Knowles gave me this name years ago. It was up
stream from the Cooper road, on both sides of Meadow Brook. Or
should that be spelled Shea? Did someone leave an old one-horse shay
there to rot away? The field is grown to woods, but the land has
been leveled and stone piles throughout tell of hard work years ago.
No family of either spelling had a recorded deed to land in
SHINING LAKE: Name of Pocomoonshine Lake as found on maps in 1861
and 1881. This lake really shines in the afternoon when viewed from
South Princeton and on the ridge of the South Princeton Road in
SIXTEENTH STREAM: The outlet of Pleasant Lake. It flows about 3
miles to Meddybemps Lake. It drops about 58 feet, mostly near
Pleasant Lake where a mill(s) once stood.
SKUNK HOLLOW: The valley where the Spearin Road crosses over Lanes
Brook. Alberta, Ethel and Elbridge McArthur walked this road to and
from Hale School. One day they met Mr. Skunk and thus the name.
SOUTH PRINCETON ROAD: This road goes from the Airline at Four
Corners northerly into Princeton and the village of South Princeton.
Children from Taylor Hill went to school in South Princeton and some
former residents of that neighborhood are buried in the South
SPEARIN BROOK: This brook rises north of the Airline and flows
northerly through lot 27 (Big Goodhue) and empties into Upper Mud
Lake, about 3 miles long.
SPEARIN ROAD: Names for early settler Jeremiah Spearin who lived on
this road that runs from the Cooper Road to the Flat Road. .
SPRAGUE BARS: This gate marked the drive to a house at 178 South
Princeton Road. Sometime in the 1980s Hazel Dwelley told me that the
cellar in the field across from her house was the Sprague Bars
Place. Her remarks and the following testify to the value of oral
history. Matthew Sprague was born on July 8, 1798 at St. Stephen,
NB. Mary Brown, his wife, was born March 25, 1807 at Baring. They
were married March 28 1829 and had the following children; twins
Olive and Amanda, Ruth, Samuel, Almeda, Jane, Byron and Matthew.
This family was living in Alexander according to the 1840 census and
their deed is for the north part of lot 45, exactly where Hazel told
SPRING HILL: Named for early settler William Spring, this hill is on
the Cooper Road, running south from the Spearin Road to Meadow Brook
STEPHENSONS LAKE: Jesse Stephenson was the first to have a mill at
the outlet of this lake, actually two mills, a sawmill and a
gristmill. His daughter married John Dwelley whose name also is
attached to what we call Pleasant Lake.
STEVENS STREAM: Name found in 1861 and 1881 maps of what we call
Sixteenth Stream. Likely a corruption of Stephenson who first owned
TAYLOR HILL: The hill is on the South Princeton Road, partly in
Alexander and the lower part in Princeton. Named for Jonathan Taylor
who married Samuel “Bog” Brown’s daughter and lived in Brown’s home
at the top of the hill. The farm is the only documented site of a
fire lookout tower in Alexander. Moses Kneeland owned the Brown
place then and some call the hill Mose Kneeland Hill.
THISTLEWOOD ROAD: See Lyons Road and McArthur Road.
TOMMY LONG ROAD: This road runs east from the Cooper Road and is
named for the long time twentieth century resident who lived at the
end of the road.
TOWNSEND HILL: Named for the Manley Townsend family, this hill is on
the Cooper Road between the Airline and the top of the hill where
the family lived.
TUF END: When Joe Hunnewell signed Lelia Crafts’ autograph book in
1893, he added his address, Tuf End. That was and likely still is
the neighborhood at the north end of the Pokey Road. Was this
section named for the people who lived here or for the poor soil
that made it a “tuf” place to make a go of it?
TYLER CORNER: The intersection of the Arm Road with the Cooper Road
carried the name of early resident of the corner, George Tyler. The
Animal Pound was located across from his house.
WAPSACONHAGAN BROOK: This brook rises east of the Flat Road and
flows northerly under the Airline, west of the cemetery,
northeasterly near Robb Hill and on into Baileyville where it joins
the St. Croix River in Woodland. It had huge hay meadows along its
banks near Robb Hill.
WAPSACONHAGAN HILL: The steep hill on the Airline just west from our
WAPSACONHAGAN ROAD: A private gravel pit road and forestry access
road that leaves the Airline just west of the Cemetery. It runs to
the north. From this road it is possible to access the wooded area
on most of Kendall Mountain on the west and Robb Hill on the east.
WEYMOUTH PLACE: Area south of Tommy Long Road on lot 88 where Kit
and Carol Pollock now live. Named for Calais investor Alexander