An Illustrated Timeline of Alexander, Maine 

* THE LAND 13000 YEARS AGO  * EXPLORERS, BATTLES, REBELLION FROM 1000 TO 1774  *  TURNING LAND INTO MONEY FROM 1781 TO 1795  *  PUTTING ALEXANDER ON THE MAP FROM 1785 TO 1808  *             EARLY SETTLERS FROM 1808 TO 1825        *    YEARS OF GROWTH 1830       *     READY OR NOT FOR WAR ~ 1860 TO 1865     *    FARM ANIMALS BECAME THE CASH CROP – 1866 to 1900      *   THRU THE TAX COLLECTORS EYES - 1914   BOUND FOR EXTINCTION 1970       *  GROWING AGAIN         *  THE NEW MILLENNIUM  *
 

CHAPTER 4 – PUTTING ALEXANDER ON THE MAP FROM 1785 TO 1808

The political bounds of Alexander (Township # 16) were determined in 1785 when Township 7 (Baileyville) was actually surveyed by Rufus Putman because Massachusetts was marking its boundary with British North America (Canada) and trying to encourage settlers along that border. The west bounds of Baileyville are the east bounds of Alexander. Putnam did not survey Alexander, but created the plan seen below. In 1786 Putman stayed in Boston and created a map – plan of 50 townships for the Massachusetts Land Lottery.

Stanley B. Attwood in The Length and Breadth of MAINE describes Alexander as containing 21,062 acres of land, 3821 acres of inland water and 2042 acres of bog or swamp making a total of 26,895 acres, more than Putnam planned for TWP 16. We must remember that no measurement is exact.

1786 RUFUS PUTNAM made map/plan of Township 16

808 BENJAMIN R. JONES surveyed Township 16 and made revised lot plan with 128 lots

Benjamin R Jones was hired to actually survey Township 16 using Putnam’s 1786 plan as a basis. The lots were made smaller to attract more settlers. John Black, agent for proprietors Baring Brothers Bank had the survey done. Settlers and speculators immediately came to Alexander. See Chapter 3, TURNING LAND INTO MONEY for details in the Ticket Lots and the Massachusetts Land Lottery

One major error appears on this 1881 copy of the 1808 Lot Plan. Lot 97 is marked ‘Bingham Lands in Alexander Township’. The 1786 Plan indicates that Lot 97, then Lot 49 was acquired by ticket #633, owned by the heirs of Silvester Gardner of Boston. In 1821 those heirs sold the lot to Caleb Cary of East Machias. William Bingham never owned lot 97.
 

TOP