Sometimes our town needs a building and the elected officials ask
townspeople to lead in the planning and construction. We don’t have
records from the 19th
century, but here is a little about public buildings since 1900.
Cedar School in 2004 picture. It is now a private
We don’t have the names of the
elected School Committee for this time of the planning and building
of this schoolhouse. Harry S. Brown was the elected
Superintendent at the time. The building was constructed in the
period 1901 – 02. The building is at the top of Gooch Hill.
1957 – 1987
image of Alexander School was taken in 1995. The building burned
stood at the intersection of the Arm and Cooper Roads. This name
distinguished this school from the one-room schools that had existed
in Alexander over the previous 135 years. Alexander School replaced
Hale School, Cedar School and the Four Corners School. It was called
the Consolidated School at first. For the first ten years of its
existence the Town of Cooper sent its elementary children here.
The people most responsible for the creation of this building were
school committee members Everett Dwelley, Floyd Hunnewell,
Benjamin H. McArthur and Superintendent Carroll R. McGary. They
were active in 1955 when the school building committee was formed.
1987 Alexander Elementary School, on the Airline Road, became home
for Alexander kindergarten through grade eight students. This
picture taken in 1991.
committee members during the planning and construction of this
schoolhouse were Roger Holst, Sherrie Parks, Maxine Seavey, Linda
McArthur, Merle Knowles, JR and Gerald Cooper. Known members of
the building committee were Roger Holst, Merle Knowles JR, Tim
Sanford, and Pat Foley.
By 1992 members
of the Alexander Volunteer Fair Department had outgrown their fire
hall, the former Hale schoolhouse. Dave Sullivan invited
selectman John Dudley to one of their meetings where ideas
where discussed about how to solve the problem. The firemen gave
great detail as to what they felt would be a long term solution for
equipment storage. At the same time, the selectmen and town clerk
realized that the rented trailer town office was also too small.
Not long after
that, selectmen Pat Harris and John Dudley met, studied the
HUD Community Block Grant rules, and decided that our town needs
matched CBG requirements. An application was completed with more
input from firemen, town clerk, and town’s people.
the grant and at a special town meeting on July 19, 1993, voters
approved using $35,000 of local funds for the matching monies to get
nearly $250,000 in CBG funds. A building committee was formed, an
architect hired, plans drawn and approved, and a contractor hired.
took place in the spring and summer of 1994. Firemen donated 1389
hours helping prepare the lot and painting. Chief Edward “Crash”
Burgess was clerk of the works and accounted for over 600 hours
of that time. Town Clerk Deanne Greenlaw donated nearly 1000
hours as administrator for the project. These hours, plus hours and
materials donated by other local people, had a value of over
18, 1994, over 100 local residents gathered on site to celebrate the
hose cutting and opening ceremonies for the fire hall and town
office. But some things didn’t get done. The grounds were not
finished because the committee voted to use the funds to make the
building as good as possible.
Over the years
several questions have been asked repeatedly about the building.
What is that new building over on the Cooper Road?” And from those
who knew it was our fire hall and town office, “Why don’t we have a
In 1999, John Dudley of the Alexander – Crawford Historical
society realized that 2000 would be the 175th
anniversary of Alexander’s
incorporation. He took some ideas that had come from local citizens
to the selectmen with the question, “Should the Town create
something special for this anniversary?” The selectmen choose three
ideas that all related to landscaping at this building; a flagpole,
a building sign, and a veterans’ monument.
funds at the June 28, 1999 town meeting and the selectmen appointed
a committee to bring the idea to reality. That committee was made up
of Shirley McCall, Norma Donahue, Roger
Holst, Crash Burgess, David Davis, and John
Dudley. They met over the winter of 1999 – 2000. The results of
those meetings set the stage. Numerous volunteers changed this site
into what you see today. All committee members did many extra jobs.
Fred Wallace with his backhoe helped install the base for the
flagpole and the signposts. Jimmy Davis and his cement mixer
and truck helped with the flagpole base and hauling earth for the
flowers. Donnie Moriasey helped place the landscape ties.
Smets’ monument provided the sandblasting on the monument, and Jack
Smith moved the electric wires. Again, members of the fire
department spruced-up the building and yard for the day. Jane
Manza, Tonya Troiani, and Liz Carter worked with
Shirley and Norma on the flowers.
On July 1, 2000 over 80 people
witnessed the dedication of the flagpole, the sign, and the
veterans’ monument. Scout Troop 127 ran-up the flag for the first
time and lead us in the Pledge of Allegiance. Pike Seavey
(USMC), chairman of the Selectmen, thanked the town’s people for
funding the project and the volunteers for their work. Roger
Holst (USN) recognized Alexander veterans and introduced guest
speaker Major General Peter Berry (ret) U.S. Army. General Berry
spoke of the dedication of men in the military and of his concerns
that we and our government too often forget them after they have
served. Reverend Robert Chamberland (USAF) of the Alexander
Church of the Open Bible gave the closing prayer.
size and construction of this building was approved at the June 2002
Budget Town Meeting. Construction was by a contractor under the
supervision of the Selectmen who were Howard Pike Seavey,
Roger Holst, Jimmy Davis, Mark Johnson and
In 2004 town’s people decided to create a plan for
Alexander’s future. Roger Holst was the selectman charged with
leading this effort. Roger served as chair and appointed six people
who formed the core group that met 22 times over two years. They
Foater Carlow, JR,
and David McVicar.
Others came to meetings that dealt with specific subjects; they were
and David Sullivan.
Judy East of the Washington County Council of Governments served as
By May 2006 the project was
completed and the Plan, dated July 2006, was presented to the town’s
people. It contained eleven parts; Vision & Executive Summary,
History, Population, Natural Resources, Employment & Economy,
Housing, Recreation, Transportation, Public Facilities & Services,
Fiscal Capacity and Land Use. The Plan was adopted on March 26, 2007
at the Annual Town Meeting.
NOTARIES & JUSTICES OF THE PEACE
Today the Secretary of State
appoints Justices of the Peace and Notaries. The town report in 2012
lists the following Notaries: Dennis Brown, Ronald Gardiner, Deanne
Greenlaw, Patsy Hill, Melva Long, Wendy Martin, Wendy Maxwell, Vicki
McVicar & Dana Porter.
Records from the past show
that the following were serving as Justices of the Peace during the
1835 – Ebenezer Ingalls
1840 – William Spring
1841 – William Spring
1842 – William Spring, Moses J.
1843 - Manly B. Townsend,
Belcher W. Tyler, Asa Libby, Joel Scott, Moses J. Hackett, William
1844 - Charles Cottell
1846 – Asa Libby
1847 – Daniel Staples
1848 – William Spring
1849 - Henry P. Whitney
1850 - William Spring
1855 – Belcher Tyler
1858 – Belcher W. Tyler
1859 – Belcher W. Tyler
1863 – Henry P. Whitney
1867 – Abner S. Townsend