METHODIST – EPISPOCAL CHURCH

 

G. R. Moody, pastor of the Alexander Methodist – Episcopal Church wrote several reports that were published in the Directory of Alexander, Meddybemps and Part of Cooper in 1896

The New England Conference in 1818 appointed Rev. Ebenezer F. Newell to labor on the St. Croix, which included Cooper and maybe Alexander. Rev. Joseph Hall and Rev. E. Kellogg followed him. In 1823, Dennysville, Cooper #10 (Edmunds), 3 (Charlotte), and 16(Alexander) were set off and called the Dennysville circuit. Among those who labored were:

We are told by Annaniah Bohanon (in an 1870 news clipping from the Calais Advertiser) that the first preacher in Alexander was named Foss. He came in 1816 and was a Free Will Baptist. Was this Foss an early settler of Machias?

1824 Rev. Josiah Eaton

1825 Rev. Gordon Greely assisted by Brother Cobb

1826 Rev. Herman Nickerson

1827 Rev. Herman Nickerson assisted by Rev. Jesse Stone

1828 Rev. Jesse Stone assisted by Rev. James Harrington

1829 Rev. James Harrington assisted by Ariel Ward

In 1830 the circuit was divided and Cooper, Alexander and #25 (Wesley) became the Cooper Circuit. Those who labored were:

1830 Rev. Joseph Gerry assisted by Francis J. Knapp; only Knapp could labor here

1831 Rev. Benjamin Eastman

1832 Rev. A. F. Bernard

1833 Rev. William Pierce

1834 Rev. Moses Webster; a revival took place

1835 Rev. Benjamin Eastman

1836 Rev. George Childs labored in Cooper, Alexander and Crawford; 30 persons joined on probation

1837 – 38 Rev. D. P. Thompson

1839 – 40 Rev. J. Dow

The circuit now included Cooper, Alexander, Crawford, Princeton, Wesley and Northfield.

1841 Rev. Charles Andrews assisted by Bro. Battey

1842 Rev. Mr. Sanborn

1843 Rev. James Bamford who died on the charge on May 15, 1857

1844 Rev. R. Walker

1845 – 46 Rev. A. Kendall

1847 Rev. D. Staples

1848 Eastern Maine Conference was incorporated. But records not found for seven years

1850 - Asuph Sawyer of Cooper took the census of Free Inhabitants of Alexander on August 27 – 31. Sawyer tells that we had two churches, the Union Church seated 150 and was valued at $300 and the Methodist Church seated 150. We have found no other evidence of these church building in Alexander.

1855 Rev. G. Winslow

1856 no preacher

1857 Rev. C. A. Plummer

1858 – 1866 no record

1866 Rev. B. M. Mitchell; Historian Pliney E. Frost believed that construction started on a church building at 64 Cooper Road in 1866.

1867 – 68 Rev. S. S. Gross

1868 – 69 Rev. B. M. Mitchell preached occasionally

1869 – 72 Rev. Benjamin C. Blackwood; According to Pliney Frost, the M-E Church was completed and dedicated in 1869.

1872 – 75 Rev. S. M. Dunton

1875 – 77 Rev. Charles Rogers

1877 – 79 Rev. P. J. Robinson

1879 – 81 Rev. C. S. Main

1881 – 83 Rev. R. P. Gardner

1883 – 84 Rev. H. E. Frohock

1884 – 85 Rev. E. A. Carter

1885 – 87 Rev. M. Kearney

1887 – 88 Rev. Whidden

1888 – 1890 Rev S. M. Small

1890 – 94 Rev. J. D. McGraw

In 1893 work on the parsonage was commenced: Total cost of the parsonage was $718.23, which included $400 in labor performed by the citizens of Alexander. J. D McGraw put $84.29 into the building and B. W. Russell graded the grounds and dug the well.

1894 – 95 Rev. B. W. Russell

1895 – 96 Rev. G. R. Moody: Rev. Moody’s Report to Conference stated that he had preached 91 times in regular work, 22 times in special work, held 21 class meetings, made 215 calls and conducted 41 prayer meetings. He traveled 778 miles in performing these tasks at the church, at Four Corners, at North Union and Eastern Ridge in Cooper and at Meddybemps. End of Moody Report

Material supplied by the late Grace Ober of Woodland, Marian Cousins (granddaughter of Wm. Dunham), Donald Frost (grandson of J. D. McGraw), Pliney Frost, and Rev. Robert Young of the Peoples Methodist Church in Woodland were added to G. R. Moody’s work.

1897 – 1899 W. P. Greenlaw

1900 – 1901 Hiram E McFarlane

1901 – 1904 James W. Price

1904 – 1905 Jason F. Thurston

1905 - W. L. Bradeen

1907 – 1910 John N. Palmer

1910 – 1912 W. H. Dunham

The Village of Woodland in the Town of Baileyville, the next town east of Alexander had grown and the Peoples Methodist Church was established there. The ME Church in Alexander was served by ministers from Woodland with services usually on Sunday afternoons. Those ministers marked with an asterisk were remembered locally in 1983.

1912 – 1914 F. K. Conant

1914 – 1918 George Gorwood

1918 – 1925 W. H. Stewart*

1925 – 1927 H. S. Thomas

1927 – 1932 H. W. Whitely*

1932 – 1939 C. D. Wentworth* – Mr. Wentworth preached Fred Harriman’s funeral at the Church on Sunday, November 27, 1938. The funeral was to be on Saturday, but the roads were filled with snow. Sunday was also a bad day, wind and snow.

1939 – 1942 Edwin Teuksbury*

1942 – 1944 Joseph Alfonso*

1945 – 1947 Willard Conklin*

1947 – 1950 Harold C. Rowley*

1950 – 1952 Campbell B. Carmichael*

1952 – 1954 Alfred H. Ives*

1954 – 1956 Norman Langmaid*

1956 – 1959 C. Weston Jones

1960 – 1964 Robert S. Brightman

1964 – 1968 George Budd*

1968 – 1970 David McLean

1970 – 1972 Richard W. Clark

1972 – 1977 Willis C. Patten


Sometime between April 1, 1974 and April 1, 1976 John Calendar, Clifford Cole, Janet Cobb and William ‘Bo’ Yerxa acquired the church. They dismantled the building and used the lumber for structures they built on West Ridge Cooper or at South Princeton. In 1997 the Grange acquired the lot and uses it for parking.