During the mid-1930s, Pentecostal tent meetings were held at Morey Hunnewell's on Route Nine. As a result of religious interest developed at these meetings, a group decided to build a church. Volunteer workers on land donated by Allen and Arlene Strout put up the structure. The first service was on October 25, 1939. Cliff McCarty was the first pastor.
Some of the local families that attended this church and probably took part in its construction were Morey and Marjorie Hunnewell, Max and Alberta Berry, Floyd and Ethel Hunnewell, Lyman and Rose Williams, Kenneth and Blanche McPheters, Eldon and Beulah Hunnewell, Alice Perkins, Jean Knowles, Leota Worrell and her daughters Charlotte and Freda and Audrey Gillespie and her children. Others who attended were Ray Bohanon, Walter and Maude Henderson, Avis Niles and her children Lawrence, Rose and Carroll. Many people came from Woodland and St. Stephen to attend this church.
Services were held on Sunday afternoons. Sunday school for the young children was taught by Beulah Hunnewell and the pastor handled the older children. Usually the pastor was the same one who served in Woodland, but others from other places filled-in. Among the pastors at this church were Phil Anderson, Frank McCarty, Fred Sellars, Frank Drost, Ruth Torrey, Harvey Tracy, John Haddahall, George Henry, Win Stairs, and Mrs. Larson. Some of these pastors helped out for only a few services and others served for a longer tine. Brothers Phil and Paul Anderson often sang.
The last service was held about 1965. The building and small parcel of land was transferred back to Max Berry. Since then ownership of the building eventually passed to Catherine and Ed McNaulty, then to Butch and Deanne Greenlaw and to James McCook. McCook’s son-in-law burned the building on July 30, 1998.
Ethel Hunnewell provided most of the information for this article in 1991