SOUTH PRINCETON ROAD
Prepared 2012 by John Dudley
This road runs north from The
Airline a little over a mile before it swings northeasterly toward the village
of South Princeton. From the Airline to where it intersects with the Pokey Road,
it is a lot-line road, following a line drawn by Benjamin R. Jones in 1808. The
entire length of this road was designated the County Road in the 1820s when it
was determined that the original route over Kendall Mountain was too steep, and
the bog on that mountain’s north side was impassible.
Our purpose is to record the
human settlement of this neighborhood and names of known heads of family have
been underlined. Corrections and additions are encouraged. Contact John
Dudley, 216 Pokey Rd, Alexander ME 04694
Lot 54 and Lot 55
Lot 54 was once claimed by William Vance, but in
1829 the tax Collector of Alexander, after advertising for the rightful owner,
sold the lot by bid to Nathaniel Merserve, apparently a bachelor. He
built on the northwest part of the lot with the long drive from the Airline
Road. Another bachelor followed him. He was 30 year old Simeon Bailey who
rented the lot and house. James L. Addison rented it after the Civil War.
With him on the 1870 census was his wife Mary Ann (Bradley), daughters Mary E.
and Margaret J. and a son Stephen who was recently born. The place burned about
1875 and no one lived has on this site since although it is a favorite hunting
In 1883 Belcher Tyler acquired
the lot from James Merserve of Jackson, New Hampshire. Tyler almost immediately
transferred the property to Hannah (Frost) Lyons. Hannah was the wife of
Greenwood Lyons (or Lyon as appears on some records) and mother of Philmore
(or Fillmore) Lyons who likely built the first house at 22 South Princeton
Road. The 1881 Colby Atlas shows P. Lyons as the occupant. Fillmore apparently
was a bachelor and lived here alone or with his single brother James. The Lyons
family transferred the lot to Henry Hayward, a land speculator, in 1887.
Henry Haywood sold this lot to
Emeline (Davis) Frost in 1899. She transferred the west half (aka the Addison
Place) to her husband Thomas Bean Frost on January 13, 1905. The ownership of
the lot changed to their son Lewis in 1907. The entire lot was transferred to
another son Stephen Emery Frost; Mary Purington of Calais held the
mortgage in1917. S. E. Frost was known by either his first or middle name.
Besides being a farmer, he ran a store at either one of two locations. The store
may have been in a room in his house. Oral history states that there was a store
in a small building located at the southeast corner of lot 54 and that Charles
Sidney Hunnewell moved it across the Airline where it became the ell of the home
he shared with his second wife Ida McPheters and later with their son Floyd.
Charles and Ida were married in 1899.
Stephen Emery Frost and Sarah
(or Sallee or Sadie) Blaney (or Blainey) were married on November 30, 1898. She
was a daughter of “Old” Tom Blaney and his second wife Sarah Robb. Thus she was
a sister of “Young” Tom Blaney who we will meet at 151 South Princeton Road.
Stephen and Sadie had the following children: Nelson, Evens, Bernice, Florence,
Beatrice, Ethel, Vattie, Frances, Carl and Curtis. We’ll also meet Curtis again
Stephen Emery Frost sold a lot
to Roy Hunnewell with buildings in June 1921. It was of 7 rods by 7 rods
and at the northeast corner of lot 54. Stephen Emery Frost sold the rest of lot
to Lindsay Varnum in January 1927. Lindsay was apparently having problems
with a neighboring woman so transferred the place to his brother Earl Varnum in
April 1940. Lindsay was on the move; was it more women troubles? In 1949 he was
in Brattleboro, Vermont when Harvey Niles bought most of the lot, and in 1952
Lindsay was of Colorado when he sold ten acres and the house (22 South Princeton
Road) to Robert Hunnewell. Harvey Niles transferred his part of the lot to Floyd
Hunnewell and Merle Knowles SR.
Lot 55 had no settlers’ homes on the South Princeton Road. There were three
early homes on lot 55 and on the Airline Road; that’s another article. Thomas
Bean‘s name is the first associated with the west part of the lot, the part that
bounds the South Princeton Road. Thomas died young. Did he and later his wife
Mary live on this lot? Ownership or occupancy later included Benjamin Strout in
1841, Solomon Strout SR in 1860 and Solomon Strout JR in 1866. Each of these men
signed bonds with the heirs of William Bingham to acquire the land.
Near the intersection of the
two roads was a rough building owned by the town and used to store the horse
drawn road grader, snow fence and a little salt and sand. Men of the
neighborhood used this place to visit and play cards. Pranks were part of the
activity, and “Young” Tom Blaney nearly went through the roof when someone
smashed the board wall with a 2X4, Kah Bam! We’ll meet Tom again.
15 South Princeton Road
(lot 55) A house was built on this site by Allen Strout. It had many
occupants during its years including in order Neal McArthur, Russell
Strout, Elden Hunnewell, Robbie Hunnewell and Morey
and Marjorie Hunnewell. Morey was a son of Charles Sidney Hunnewell. Morey
and Marjorie moved to Calais about 1960 and rented the house to newly wedded
Emil and Betty Dill of Machias. Steve and Vicki (Perkins) Elliot with
their daughters Stephanie and Jesse purchased the house and moved here on
October 1976. The Elliots separated and Vicki rented the home to Eleanor
Crowe October 1996. In January 1997 Barry and Janice McCurdy bought
the place and moved here. Vicki bought the place back in September 1997 and the
house was demolished. Robert and Jesse (Elliot) Benner moved a mobile
home onto the lot in 2008 and with their son Phillip Steven are the present
#15 ca 1980;
#22 Robbie Hunnewell’s house after moved, image ca 1985;
#22 in 2012
22 South Princeton Road
(lot 54) This lot of 10 acres was set off and sold to Robert Hunnewell in
May 1952. It included the only house on lot 55 at that time. Robbie, his wife
Thelma (Clark) and daughters Elizabeth and Lila lived here. To the south of the
house, bounded by the Airline and South Princeton Road was the baseball field,
home of the Alexander Eagles. Robbie moved the old house to the north a bit and
placed the Charles Aylward house on the foundation. Phillip and Barbara
(Perkins) McVicar acquired the place from Robbie’s heirs in March 1974. Mark
and Trudy were their children. Phillip took down the barn and in June 1995
burned the old house. Today the residents are Philip and Vicki (Perkins)
40 South Princeton Road
(lot 54) Merle H. Knowles SR sold this 4.8 acre lot to Barry and Barbara
Wheaton in July 1978. They moved in a trailer in which they lived while they
built a home and have resided here since. Merle hired Bill Boss of Woodland to
map a three-lot development plan that is on file at the deeds office in Machias
and dated March 18, 1978. This is lot 3 with 365 feet road frontage; 78 South
Princeton Road is lot 2 with 418 feet frontage and 101 South Princeton Road is
lot 1 with 460 feet frontage A lot 350 feet wide between lots 2 and 3, and a 25
foot access road between lots 1 and 2 were reserved by Merle.
55 South Princeton Road
(lot 55) Ed and Marilyn (Holst) Cislak bought this lot from McNaulty in
1981. They built their home in 1993 and presently reside here.
#55 in 2012;
#78 house in summer of 2012, and garage in fall of 2012
78 South Princeton Road
(lot 54) Merle H. Knowles, SR sold this 4 acre lot to Steven and Vicki (Perkins)
Elliot on March 1, 1976. In July 1977 they resold the lot to Daniel and Peggy
Rayner who built the home that now stands here. Rayners also purchased the
mineral rights to the land from Floyd Hunnewell. A number of renters lived here,
some briefly, starting in 1983. Jerry Hunt and his sisters may have been
the first. Dave Holst preceded David and Sandy Cummings and their
boys Ben and Lee were here for 18 months about 1986. A boy named Clarence
Labbe went to AES and may have lived here. In the fall of 1987 the home was
rented to a family whose alpha male taught at Washington Academy. By July 1988
the Rayners had moved to Fort Kent and sold their home to Ronald and Eleanor
Lilley. This couple apparently could not make the payments and left. The
place was owned by Fleet Bank and Coastal Area Real Estate and during this time
the house was vacant excepting when Rocky and Brenda Young rented it from
December 1994 to April 1995.
Robert and Barbara McArthur
and their son Robert moved here from Crawford where the State DOT had taken
their home to widen the Airline. They owned and lived in the house from January
1996 until 2003 when Arthur and Melinda (Neddeau) Allen of Princeton
purchased it. Arthur grew up at 101 South Princeton Road. They reside here with
their two children Tianna and Nathan.
93 South Princeton Road
This lot was purchased from
Edward and Katherine McNulty in April 1996 by David and Esther Tozier
This family, including the three sons Brody, Thomas and Julian, lived here in a
mobile home until Michael and Diane Howell moved here in April 2002 with
their boys Ryan and Dylan.
101 South Princeton Road
(lot 55) The McNultys sold this lot to Patricia MacDonald in August 1975.
Patty resided here until August 1984 when she sold the land and house to
Arthur and Nina Allen and their children Arthur and Brandi. Widowed twice,
Nina Pederson sold her home to David and Jennifer Sanford in July 2008.
This couple, with their six young children, lives here at present
#101 with new garage and not yet completed entryway;
#102, both 2012 images
102 South Princeton Road
(lot 54) Stephen Emery Frost sold a lot of 7 rods by 7 rods with buildings to
Roy Hunnewell in June 1921. Roy and Lima Carlow had married on October 3,
1917 and may have moved here shortly thereafter. Roy and Lima moved to Woodland
before 1934. The next to reside here was Kenneth McPheters followed by
Curtis and Hazel (Bohanon) Frost. They married on March 14, 1928 and moved
to 151 South Princeton Road in the mid 1940s. Neal McArthur was the last
to reside in this house. All that remains of this house are memories.
Jonathan and Phyllis
(Scott) Wheaton bought 5 acres, including the lot above, from Floyd
Hunnewell in March 1974. The Wheatons and their daughters Wendy and Leigh lived
in a mobile home while they built a log home where they resided until 2004.
Robert and Jennifer Smith
bought the lot and home in March 2004. They live here with their son Cameron.
Lot 45 and lot 46
Lot 45 has historically been 160 rods along the road. A number of years ago the
back part of the lot was sold off; it is a wood lot. Lot 46 historically has
been in two parts; the south part is 120 acres and 120 rods along the road; the
north part is 40 acres and 40 rods along the road. This 40-acre lot includes
only locations 203 and 205 South Princeton Road.
121 South Princeton Road
(lot 46 - 120 acre part of lot) The next three sites all connect to Dana and
Betty Lou ((Prout) Niles who live at site 131. Betty Lou is a granddaughter of
Curtis and Hazel (Bohanon) Frost. In July 1990 Betty Lou’s sister Sharon (Prout)
Bonness moved a trailer home to this site and lived here until her early
death on November 11, 1996. Sharon’s daughter Tracy lived here for awhile. Next
at this site briefly about 1995 was Dana II and Melinda (Hatt) Niles.
Dana and Betty Lou then rented the trailer home to his brother Billy Niles,
to Robert and Virginia (Poole) Nason and then to a worker on the pipe
line. Since ca 2006 this has been the home of Dana II and Kristen (Tarvers)
Niles and their son Dana III, born 2008.
129 South Princeton Road
(lot 46 - 120 acre part of lot) Dana and Betty Lou (Prout) Niles had a
trailer at this site from 1986 to 1987 while they built the house next door.
Tonya Niles, daughter of Dana and Betty Lou, moved another trailer to the
site about 1997. Tonya, her son Austin, her husband Devery Johnson and
their daughters Parra and Taaliyah were here until about 2001. The site is now
#131 in 2012;
#132 ca 1980. The chimney of this historic cape rested on wooden cribbing that
rotted away causing the building to collapse, it was then burned. See
Pocomoonshine Lake and Mountain in right background.
131 South Princeton Road
(lot 46 - 120 acre part of lot) Dana and Betty Lou (Prout) Niles moved
into this house in September 1989. With them were their children Dana II and
Tonya, and since 2000 their grandson Austin has resided in their home.
132 South Princeton Road
(lot 45) John Campbell Bohanon and his family lived here before they
moved west and sold this property in 1850 to his younger brother Annaniah Jones
or Jones A. Bohanon. A house site 100 yards back from the road and
somewhat behind the newer house site likely was John’s home site. Jones married
Lizzie Bailey in 1853 and likely built this five-bay cape soon thereafter.
Jones, a farmer like the rest, also was Town Clerk in 1865 and from 1871 to
1876. Jones’s son Manley Chester Bohanon lived his entire life at this
site. He and his wife Bertha Fitch and eleven of their children resided here.
Around 1920 Steve Hunnewell was a boarder in the home. Manley’s sons Harold
(1905 – 1982) and Arnold (1911 – 1975) Bohanon, WWII veterans and bachelors,
were the last to live in the old house. Some of their siblings would visit,
especially in summers.
David Davis and Mary Casey
acquired the east 60 acres of this lot from the Town of Alexander in November
1992. The old home was structurally in poor shape so on April 12, 1993 it was
burned by the Alexander Volunteer Fire Department. David has worked on the large
field beside the road and on the back-field to grow blueberries.
Princeton Road (lot 46 - 120 acre part of lot) An early deed calls this the
Flanders Lot. That name is also found on tax records in the 19th
century; James Flanders was born at Jefferson, Maine on November 26,
1790. He married Elizabeth Monroe on July 9, 1820. She was born at Maugerfield
NB on August 1, 1796. They lived in St. Stephen where Mary Ann Monroe, Elbridge
Mitchell and James Mardonius were born. They were in Alexander, likely on this
lot, on May 20, 1830 when Samuel Scribner Flanders was born. Readers will
remember that Samuel Scribner of the Airline Road died in April 1830. Three more
children were born in Alexander and two were given interesting middle names,
Adareen, Elizabeth Caroline Dawdle, and Charles Adareen who was born 3 months
after the first Adareen died. Mary Ann married William Crockett #2 and
apparently died at childbirth in Baileyville. James Flanders marked his sheep by
a hole in each ear. The family apparently left Alexander prior to 1840.
Giles Hutchins was born
in 1810, but we know not where. On Sept 17, 1835 he married Eliza Bayley
daughter of Nathaniel JR and Mary (Frost) Bailey. Eliza was likely born in
Baileyville and grew up on the Arm Road in Alexander. Seven Hutchins children
were born between 1836 and 1851 including Winslow (1840) who fought in the Civil
War. Giles died in 1852 while crossing the Panama Isthmus on his way to
California. Parts of this family were in Alexander from 1835.until after 1860.
“Old” Tom Blaney
bought this lot from William Spearing. Tom was a son of James and Elizabeth
(Scott) Blaney of the Pokey Road and a younger brother of Margaret who was
married first to Francis Westbrook Brown and second to John McLaughlin. Tom
married Sarah Lyon in 1860, they had a son William and she died 17 months later.
Tom remarried Sarah Robb and she bore him six children including young Tom, born
on March 19, 1876 and Sarah who married Stephen Emery Frost. In 1885 “Old” Tom
sold his place on the Pokey Road and bought Flanders’ place. He had a lot of
financial problems evidenced by the mortgages on the place, five over a period
of 17 years. The last mortgage was forclosed upon and “Young” Tom Blaney
acquired the place by deed on October 8, 1924. I expect the family had lived in
the house all the years in between.
“Young” Tom Blaney
was a bachelor. He sold gas, oil and groceries from the enclosed back porch of
his home. Tom made homebrew; did he sell that too? Tom was also a ‘jumper” who
would really jump when startled. Some of the local men enjoyed setting up Tom
for a jump. When Tom became old he had his nephew Curtis Frost come live with
him. Curtis and his wife Hazel (Bohanon) Frost cared for Tom and the
farm. Tom died on March 26, 1946. He had no will, but had 23 nieces and nephews.
The personal property was valued at $830.25 and the farm and buildings at $3000.
Curtis and Hazel billed the estate for $146.50 for their care of Tom and the
place. They also were living on the place.
Curtis’s mother Sarah (Blaney)
Frost (lot 54) was Tom’s sister. All of Sarah’s children signed their share over
to Curtis. Tom’s other siblings did not, so the entire 120-acre property has no
clear title. Curtis died in 1951. Hazel married Harold Dwelley in May
1954. They resided at this site until 1986 when they moved to Calais. They both
died in 1991.
Keith and Brenda Prout
moved into this home in 1986 and with their daughters Katie and Ashley have
resided here ever since. Keith Prout, Sharon Bonness and Betty Lou Niles are
children of Kathleen (Frost) Prout, daughter of Curtis and Hazel (Bohanon)
#151 ca 1996; Looking north on December 29, 1931. That is
Pocomoonshine Lake and Mountain in background. House #246
is in distance on right. Note open land compared to today.
178 South Princeton Road
(lot 45) Sometime in the 1980s Hazel Dwelley told me that the cellar in the
field across from her house was the Sprague Bars Place. Her remarks and the
following testify to the value of oral history. Matthew Sprague was born
on July 8, 1798 at St.Stephen, NB. Mary Brown, his wife, was born March 25, 1807
at Baring. They were married March 28 1829 and had children as follows
Olive and Amanda or
Miranda Sprague twins born May 14, 1829
Ruth Sprague born March
Samuel Brown Sprague born
December 18, 1835 in Alexander
Almeda Knight Sprague born
April 24, 1837
Jane Sprague born December
This family was
living in Alexander according to the 1840 census and is found listed in John G.
Taylor’s Records found in Alexander Vitals. They were living on lot 45. There
was another adult male in the household, between ages 20 and 30. (Was he E.
Weber? Weber and Matthew signed to buy this lot together in 1831.) The 1850
census of Princeton lists this Sprague family and Matthew was one of the first
members of the Advent Church.
Elijah and Amelia C. (Bohanon)
Brown bought this place from Sprague in 1846. Amelia was a sister of John
and Jones. Elijah and Amelia were married in December 22, 1836. We list their
children to illustrate how life was in our rural community before 1850. George
W. (1837 – Sept 1, 1845), Eliza (1839 – August 31, 1845) Amanda (1841 - ),
Frances (1842 - ), Elijah W. (1844 – ), Calvin (1846 – 1847), George W. (1847 -
), her husband Elijah (1813 – 1849), Laura (1850 - ). The 1850 census finds
Amelia, age 30, with Eliza age 5 and George age 2 living with her parents. What
happened to the house and to the other children ?
192 South Princeton Road
(lot 45) Apparently Manly Bohanon built a little house at the edge of the
woods north of his fields. Was it a place to escape the noise of all those
children? His son Asher Bohanon lived there occasionally, as did
Russell Strout. The building disappeared about 1950. David Davis and Mary
Casey sold a couple of acres in this area to Philip McArthur in September
2005. Philip built a log house that has been his home since.
203 South Princeton Road
(lot 46 - 40 acre part of lot) Fred and May Stephenson bought this lot
from Melvin Hunnewell in 1971 and built a modern home just south of the old
cellar. David “Bucky’ and Andrea Rodgers with her son Nick Leighton came
to live here in 1985. They sold to present owners Pedro and Bonnie Ceijas
in July 1998.
#192 in 2012;
# 246 in ca 1988
205 South Princeton Road (lot 46 – 40 acre part of lot) John A. Munson
signed a bond to purchase this lot from William Bingham heirs in 1860. He was
living here with his mother Elizabeth, his stepfather Simeon Ayers and
three Ayers siblings. Like his neighbor Winslow, John went off to war, but he
died of disease at Baton Rouge, LA. The Ayers family left Alexander prior to
1870. The 1861 map gives S. Ayers.
Charles Sidney Hunnewell
lived here in 1881 according to the Colby Atlas. Charles was a blacksmith and
farmer. He and his wife Eliza or Lida or Lydia Jane (Keene) had Orrin, Mina (dy),
Eda and Lillian by 1880. Howard Morton, Wesley, Clara, Eva (dy), Charles W,
Harris, Melvin, Morey and Roy were born later. Charles second marriage was to
Ida McPheters; they had one son, Floyd.
Jasper Bailey was taxed for
the place in 1884. Joseph Cousins was taxed from 1885 to 1891, but Jasper Bailey
held the mortgage of $75.00. Cousins likely lived here starting in 1884. Joseph
and Nancy would move to the (Jasper) Bailey Place at 216 Pokey Road about 1891.
Augustus Souci of
Calais bought this place for $200 in July 1891, lived here and died in September
1898. His farm was transferred to William Kerr of Calais. In 1902 Robert
McArthur moved the house to 24 Pokey Road. In December 1907 the ownership of the
lot went to Orren Hunnewell. His cousin Steve Hunnewell, a bachelor,
sometime after 1920 built a small home near the road. It was likely on the old
cellar and was his home until his death in 1958. It was then burned. George
Taylor of Baileyville owned this property during the 1930s, but occupation was
by members of the Hunnewell family
A house was built on the site
of Steve Hunnewell’s home ca 1999 that became the home of Geraldine Mundis,
mother of Bonnie Ceijas of 203 South Princeton Road. Geraldine is aged 94 in
Lot 36 and lot 37
221 South Princeton Road
(lot 37) Elden Hunnewell , a son of Morey and Marjorie Hunnewell of 15
South Princeton Road, moved a mobile home to this new site about 1990. He and
Kay Church resided here until she moved to the Methodist Homes in Calais .
Elden died at home after mowing the lawn on June 13, 1992. On November 28, 1992,
Jennifer Howell, daughter of Chip and Judy, and Mark Dwelley were
married. Mark is the son of Lloyd Thomas and Carol (Saunders) Dwelley. Jennifer
and Mark moved into this trailer home several days later, but were gone by early
spring. It was hard to heat! George Drake was hired by Lane Construction
as the boss of their Calais operations. In July 1993 he purchased this trailer
for his home. His wife Mary Ann lived and worked in the Old Town area. He died
at this home on January 12, 2004. Gene and Gail Lord moved here in 2004;
Gail died at this home on March 1, 2008. Gene is the present occupant.
246 South Princeton Road
(lot 37) Likely the house was built by Jonathan Hunnewell (1802 - 1884).
He worked in a shipyard in Calais and had come to Alexander searching for ships’
knees (probably yellow birch). Jonathan and Susannah (Hall) were married in
1829; their first four children were born in St Stephen. The first of six
children born in Alexander was in 1839. Their sons Calvin and David died while
fighting in the Civil War. Their sons Andrew SR and Charles Sidney are also
listed in this article.
Charles Sidney Hunnewell
acquired his father’s place (the NW 100 acres) by deed in May 1884.
Orren Hunnewell (1873 -
1955), oldest son of Charles Sidney was head of household here after his parents
divorced. The 1900 census reports Orrin, single and aged 27 living with 7
siblings ranging in age from 3 to 16. Quite a responsibility! The title to this
property changed from Orren to his brother Howard Morton and back between 1899
and 1930 when George H. Taylor of Baileyville acquired the place. Likely only
Hunnewell family members lived here while Taylor owned it.
Mel Hunnewell was
another son of Charles Sidney and Lydia (Keene) Hunnewell. He lived from 1909 on
lot 9 in Alexander before moving to this family home before 1954. He and Nettie
(McArthur) spent many years here. Nettie died in 1980 and Mel in 1982. The farm
was offered for sale in July 1983 with the stipulation that it would not be
Mike and Brenda Hunnewell
bought the place. They lived here with sons Peter and Adam. Peter married Kathy
McCook in July 1990. In 1988 Kathy’s father James McCook (1927 – 1997)
acquired this place from Mike Hunnewell and moved in that spring for just a
couple of years. Ernest and Linda Olson McCumber and her children rented
the house from September 1990 until February 1991 when they moved back to the
Davis Road. Jack Weeks and Denise Smith rented the house from March 1991
until May 31, 1992 when the McCumbers returned.
This house was burned,
unoccupied and with no power.
Shelley Hatt moved a
trailer home to the old house site in 1996 and lived here for a couple of years.
In December 1998 Heather Wihs was renter of Hatt’s trailer; Heather was a
friend of Dana Niles II. By November 30, 2004, Shelley Hatt had removed her
trailer from this site that is now vacant .
262 South Princeton Road
(lot 37) James McCook estate sold much of the lot to Gary and Mary Hatt
in August 1994. They created a new home site and placed a trailer home here soon
after. They replaced that with a new mobile home on same site in September 1994
and still reside here.
295 South Princeton Road
(lot 37) Near the road stood a house that in 1881 was the home of Andrew
Hunnewell SR (1829 – 1907). This family had lived at 217 Pokey Road, but by 1881
was at this site. Among the ten children of Andrew and Phebe (Hunnewell)
Hunnewell was Steve at 203 South Princeton Road. A little boy died there
when the house burned. Joseph and Nancy (McLaughlin) Cousins acquired the
southeast 50 acres of lot 37 from Andrew Hunnewell in 1884.
In June 1988 Mike and
Brenda Hunnewell built a small house about 100 yards back from the road.
They lived here with sons Peter and Adam until the adults separated. Mike lived
there occasionally until he sold it to Jay and Margaret Whalen-Ottens of
Park Ridge NJ in November 2003. They use it as a seasonal home.
296 South Princeton Road
(lot 37) In October 1990 Peter and Kathy (McCook) Hunnewell moved a
mobile home onto a new site. In the spring of 1997 Peter and Kathy moved to the
McCook home in lot 55 at 1689 Airline Road. Ellis and Ruby McArthur
rented this home briefly starting in June 1997. Brian and Marian Rice
acquired the property in September 2000 and have lived here since.
Dill Hill or Hunnewell Hill
(Lot 37) After reading the previous paragraphs, we can understand the
Hunnewell name for this short steep hill. It is said that once blacksmith
Charles Sidney Hunnewell had an open-air anvil by the road side on this hill.
The Dill family was in Alexander but a few years. Andrew Hunnewell, JR (b 1878)
married Mamie Dill. They may have lived in his father’s house at 295 South
339 South Princeton Road
(lot 37) Jon and Phyllis Wheaton bought this wildland lot from May
Stevenson in 1987. The Stevenson had gotten it from Mell Hunnewell. Jon did a
lot of landscaping here, built a truck garage and house. They moved in about
Northerly from Wheatons’ house
is a stretch of road that passes through a forest. In previous days this road
was dirt, mud in the spring. Elsie Pulk of Princeton wrote this poem about that
POT HOLE VALLEY – USA
No doubt you’ve
heard the song they sing of the ride through Haynesville Wood,The story I’m
about to relate will make that road look good.Someday when you want to take a
ride it sure will do you good,
To take a ride from Princeton, Maine out through the Alexander Wood.
does not have a fancy name, this road that cuts off miles,
From Route l to the Airline and I'm sure it won't bring smiles.
call it Pot Hole Valley now, how could it get that name?
It is because if a snake crawled over it that it would find its self quite lame?
first time through you wonder if you should have brought a lunch,
My advice is - bring a mechanic, and he'd better have his wrench.
first potholes are small ones, but don’t get discouraged my friend,
After hitting over a hundred, you wonder if there’s an end.
first big one you drop in, you think you’ve hit a well,
But it's better as you go along down in this Pot Hole dell.
feel a thud, but bounce right back, now a very loud noise you hear,
Oh, it's nothing but your muffler gone, You thought you'd lost a gear!
wonder as you bump along if your motor will stay inside,
You’ll also wonder with each thump, “Is this what you call a ride?”
we don't need a roller coaster, not here in this part of Maine,
It's the thrill of your life to ride that road, and I bet you won't do it again.
Sources: Wallings 1861 Map of
Washington County, Colby’s 1881 Atlas of Washington County, deeds, 1861 map
drawn by George Winter, Alexander Vital Records compiled by Sharon
Howland, Hazel (Bohanon) Dwelley, Pliney Eugene Frost, Floyd Hunnewell, Edward
Perkins, Betty Lou (Prout) Niles