The Pokey Road is a lot-line road, as
is the South Princeton Road from the Airline to the Pokey Road. Most
lots in Alexander were ½ mile by ½ mile square
containing 160 acres and were laid-out in 1808 by Benjamin R. Jones.
The lot-line road in this case runs north – south, following
the lot line. This lot-line road continues south from the Airline on
what we call the Old County Road. Pokey Road derives its name because
it leads to Pocomoonshine Lake; the road is a little over a mile
The term ‘Tuf End’ came
from resident Joe Hunnewell. In 1888 he signed Lelia Crafts’
Autograph Book “Mot loved you, I know he does, don’t you
think so…Joe Hunnewell, Tuf End.” Alvin Morton Scribner
and Lelia were married on July 13, 1893. We will meet Joe on our trip
down Pokey Road.
Sites are identified by E911 address numbers. Approximate locations, not official addresses, are given as ~217 Pokey Road. Lot Numbers on map are framed.
Lot 36 is east and lot
37 is west of South Princeton Road. Home sites on that road will be
described in another article. In the late 1840s lot 36 was occupied
by Michael McGowen. In
a June 4, 1861 letter from George Black of Ellsworth, Hugh
Griffin got a deed for lot 36. (George Black
was a son of John Black, Baring Brothers’ original land agent
24 Pokey Road
(lot 36) – Wallings 1861 Map of Washington County shows H.
Griffin at this site, likely where McGowen
had lived. Hugh is listed in the 1850 census at age 36. He is not
listed again until 1880 when he was a divorced farmer. It was in July
1861 that Griffin of Calais deeded lot 36 to Samuel and Gordon Davis
of Alexander. As so often happens, payments were not made and Griffin
resumed ownership and paid taxes on the place including two buildings
in 1878. In 1892 Griffin of Alexander deeded the place to Matilda
LaSuer of Calais on condition that LaSuer ‘maintain and support
Griffin with food and clothing, care and nursing, a suitable room at
her house on North Milltown Street in Calais, to pay all funeral
expenses and for a suitable head stone.’ We don’t know
when Hugh died. We do know he had a deeded interest in lot 77 in
Alexander, selling it to Michael McGowen. We suspect Hugh’s
wife was Classa, who mortgaged lot 18 to Charles Whitten of Calais.
Matilda and Bennett
LaSuer of Calais deeded lot 36 to Robert
McArthur of Cooper in September 1896. Bob
McArthur moved the house from the Sousa Place up the road to the site
and the family moved in here in 1902. The family lived on lot 28 when
the 1900 census gave the family as Robert (1861), Gertrude (1863),
Fay (1884), Ralph (1888), Ella (1889), Daniel (1891), Blanche (1893),
Nettie (1895) and Allard (1898). Nettie and Allard were born in
Alexander. Neil, Grace and Lettie were born on Lot 36 over the next
Bob McArthur’s son Dan moved
the out building from the Four Corners School to a site behind his
parents home and built on an addition and fixed it up as a home. He
lived here several years with Ola and perhaps with another women. All
we find today of the above two sites are the cellar depressions.
The first division of lot 36 was made
in September 1939 when Bob McArthur sold 20 acres in the northeast
corner to Orris Cousins. Later the back part of the lot was sold to
Eastern Pulp and the road frontage was divided as follows.
The Campbell family of Calais
acquired seven acres around the old house site. Ken and Mildred,
their son Frank and his adult daughter Kathy lived in two trailers
from 1988 until 1990. One trailer was rented briefly to Donald Davis.
Mike Smith lived in a trailer home here for several years prior to
34 Pokey Rd - 42 Pokey Rd
42 Pokey Road
(lot 36) – Reid (1891 – 1983) and Grace (1898 –
1992) (Carlow) Seamans had a camp here in 1950s, just north of where
the present house sits. It had been one of their double overnight
cabins from Bailey Hill in Baileyville (Woodland), They added to it,
made it year–round, then in 1973 moved in a pre-built home on
to the site. The well was drilled in the cellar before the house
arrived. In 1986 their daughter Theora (1917 – 2001) and her
husband Ken (1916 – 1986) Wheelock moved in to look after her
parents. In 1988 Theora’s son Dick Preston moved into the house
with his mother and grandmother. Dick still resides here where he
repairs clocks and makes furniture.
43 Pokey Road (lot 37) - Mike Hatt and Rose Field moved a trailer home to this lot in 1997. Rose died in 2009. Mike continues to reside here.
43 Pokey Rd 2008 59 Pokey
Rd 1998 65 Pokey Rd 1998
59 Pokey Road
(lot 37) – Mel and Nettie Hunnewell sold what then was a field
to Clyde and Maxine Walker in 1973. They soon put a trailer home on
the lot and moved in. Clyde died on September 29, 1989. Maxine sold
in 1977 a lot to Mary Christie (see 73 Pokey Road) and a smaller lot
in 1980 to Danny Guire (see 65 Pokey Road). Maxine moved to Rockland
in 1997 and died in 2000; Colon McArthur inherited the place. He
rented the trailer to Kenneth Niles from ca 1997 until September 2001
and to Paul ‘Sparky’ Poole and Tracey Hatt from October
2001 until 2002 when Paul died. Colon moved here next and stayed
until April 2004 when he rented to Josh Rice and Janet Frost. They
divorced and Janet still lives here in 2011.
65 Pokey Road (lot 37) – In 1980 Danny Guire put in a gravel pad, septic system and water well and parked his camper trailer here several summers. About 1984 Hazel (Cousins) Frost acquired the site and moved a small trailer to this site and lived here until 1995 when she moved to Connecticut to be near her daughter Zettie. Colon McArthur purchased it in 1999 after an attempted auction and lived here with Kathy Haley. He sold it in June 2000 to Patricia Hannon, present owner. Al Arbour, Ricky Bragg and others have used it occasionally as a fishing camp. More recently a man stayed there through a winter.
68 Pokey Road (lot 36) – Orris and Marian Cousins built a house at this site about 1938 and lived here until 1941 when they moved to Portland They sold the house and it was moved. They worked in Connecticut from 1956 and retired in 1978. That is when they moved a pre-built home onto the site. Marian still resides here in 2011.
68 Pokey Rd – 1998 104 Pokey Rd - 1998
73 Pokey Road
(lot 37) - Mary Christie of Calais built a one-room camp here in
1974. She used it occasionally for about 20 years. It has fallen into
~76 Pokey Road (lot
36) - Orris Cousins
built a log hunting camp in woods by the blueberry field. He used it
from 1938 to 1941 to house sports from Massachusetts. Orris, his
brother Harold and brother-in-law Harvard guided these men deer
hunting. He sold the building some time in the 1960s to Antoine
Hagenaars who had it hauled down to the lake and over the ice to
South Princeton where it became part of Whippoorwill Lodge.
Lot 28 and Lot 29
~ 97 Pokey Road
(lot 29) - North of lot 37 and on the east of the Pokey Road is lot
29 which had but one known building. It was Charles Cousins’
hoop shed. Actually this lot has always been owned by investors from
away. The structure was built by Stowell-MacGregor on their land as a
garage to store a big tracked tractor. Orris Cousins drove the
tractor from South Lincoln in the dead of winter 1935-36. It took 50
hours and he drove on the snow banks where the roads were plowed,
which wasn’t much. Later as a hoop shed, Orris and his brother
Ronald would shave hoops that they sold in Princeton. Orris’s
wife Marian about 1938 would go to the shed with them and knit. It
had a tin stove, likely made from a carbide barrel, so it was nice
and warm there. Marian also helped the brothers cut hoop poles during
the day. The hoop shed disappeared in the early 1960s.
104 Pokey Road (lot 28) - Joe Pennington of
Massachusetts bought this lot and buildings in December 1960. The
buildings were torn down and later he built a log style camp in the
field. This building hasn’t had much use. In the summer of 1986
Dean and Michelle (Gillespie) Brown lived here while building their
home on Gooch Hill.
104 Pokey Road – Charles Cousins Farm –
probably about 1930
Image from Norma Frost Donahue
Probably the first to build at this site was old Thomas Blaney. Tom and his first wife Sarah had one child, William. Sarah died 17 months later (childbirth?) and Tom married Sarah (Robb). They were parents of six children. In 1885 Tom deeded the south part of the lot to John Irwin. Jasper Bailey held the mortgage. Irwin and his family were here for just a few years. It was likely in 1885 that Tom and Sarah moved to lot 46 on the South Princeton Road, a farm their son Tom, a bachelor, had acquired several years earlier. Old Tom lived to celebrate his ninetieth birthday at his son John’s home in Milltown on April 17, 1928.
Jasper Bailey apparently became owner of the south
part after John Irwin failed to keep up with payments on his mortgage
for in 1922 he sold Charles Cousins this 80 acres with buildings
shown in the picture (excepting the new barn that Charles built on
far left). The Cousins family had lived here several years before the
deed date, maybe as many as twenty. Charles and Evie (Keen) Cousins
had a large family including Clarence, Harold, Linnie, Mina, Elva,
Ruby, Hazel, Omar, Leota, Ronald and Orris. Ed Williamson boarded
with this family while he worked at the Stowell – MacGregor
Mill. In the mid 40s it was Linnie and her husband Ralph McArthur
that moved into the house to look after the widowed Charles. Linnie
sold the entire lot and buildings to Joe Pennington in 1960, with
~ 166 Pokey Road (lot 28) - James Blaney
acquired a bond for this lot in 1861; actually, Hugh Griffin held the
original bond from the William Bingham estate, but assigned it to
Blaney; the deed would follow in 1883. James and Elizabeth (Scott)
Blaney had arrived in Alexander via New Brunswick after 1850.
They were married on July 18, 1834, likely at St. Andrews NB. James
built on the central part of the lot. Their son Thomas and his bride
of the year Sarah (Lyon) were living with them in 1860. Just to the
north was the home of their daughter Margaret and her husband
Francis Westbrook Brown, an Alexander native. Sometime in the
mid 1860s Brown disappeared from our records. Margaret married
John McLaughlin. Margaret’s children were Francis,
James, Thomas Brown, and William McLaughlin all born between 1860 and
1870; after 1870 were Henry, George and Frederick McLaughlin.
We old timers refer to the place on the road where the drive leads to the two Blaney farms as the Johnny Gate. Strange how some old names disappear and others persist. In the early part of the twentieth century, Edward Harriman stayed in the older Blaney house.
~ 196 Pokey Road (lot 28) – In 1887 Margaret and John McLaughlin sold to William E. McLaughlin of Princeton the northeast six acres of lot 28. I suspect William was her fourth child and oldest McLaughlin child, A house was built here, the cellar depression is still evident. Orris Cousins called this the Andrew Place, had Andrew Hunnewell cleared the field? Nettie (McArthur) Hunnewell, daughter of Robert McArthur told me that her family also lived here briefly after moving from Cooper in 1894 until the house was ready at 24 Pokey Road in 1902. In 1901 Margaret and (son) William sold the north third of lot 28 to Charles Cousins who, according to his son Orris partly filled in the cellar.
These lots are of 160 acres each, but some of that
acreage is under Pocomoonshine Lake. There are six known nineteenth
century home sites in these lots.
James and Celia
Morrison lived here (lots 18 & 19) from
before 1840 until 1847. Morrison was to pay John Black (Bingham
Heirs) $400 for the land in hay over 8 years at $10 per ton. Likely
it was white pine that attracted Morrison here. His name is attached
to a point on Pocomoonshine Lake that is part of Tree Farm 258.
Before coming here Morrison owned land in Robbinston and Eastport. In
1850 James (44) was in Baileyville with his wife Celia (40) and
children (Mary (20), Jane (18), Lucy (15), James (9) and George (7).
The boys would have been born in Alexander. James and Celia were born
in Ireland and daughter Mary born in Scotland. The other girls were
born in Maine. Morrison sold his improvements and rights to Henry
Payson Whitney who lived at the Four Corners. I doubt he moved here,
for a short time later he sold to Salem Laughlin of Calais, a land
speculator. Where was Morrison’s house?
John and Margaret
Welch were here briefly in 1877 and 1878 and
taxed for both lots described as the Whitney farm. They had three
sons and two daughters. He had a pair of horses for working in the
woods. “January 22, 1878 the corpse of John Welsh was taken by
sled from near Dobsis to Grand Lake Stream.” They were not
taxed for a house; they had one cow and a pig. They were poor! Where
on these two lots did they live? This widow with three sons, two
daughters and livestock including two sheep was not listed on the
1880 census of Alexander. Where did they go?
acquired lots 18 and 19 in June 1879 from the Bingham estate and
Baring timber baron and land speculator Asher B. Getchell (mortgage
holder). Jasper was a bachelor and a horse trader. He had a speech
impediment, but that did not prevent him from buying several farms
including the one to our south (lot 28). Jasper, son of Civil War
veteran Isaiah Bailey, owned this lot until 1893 except in 1884 when
his father was the owner and in 1890 when Warren McLaughlin (Jasper’s
brother-in-law) was listed as owner. I believe Jasper built the first
home on lot 18, either at ~27 Fish House Lane or at 216 Pokey Road.
Jasper’s father Isaiah also lived on lot 18.
216 Pokey Road (Lot
18) – Jasper Bailey
and his father, Civil War Veteran Isaiah
Bailey both lived on lot 18. Did they live in
the same house? It seems that one or both built the original house at
216 Pokey Road since it has been called the Bailey Place. However we
suspect Isaiah may have lived in a small house at the garden patch at
~ 25 Fishhouse Lane because a Civil War bayonet was found there.
Joseph and Nancy
(McLaughlin) Cousins paid taxes on the
‘Bailey Place’ after 1892. Joseph was born on January 18,
1821 at St. David NB and died between 1900 and 1910. Nancy was born
on November 24, 1826 and died between 1910 and 1920. Nancy was a
sister of Warren and Sylvester McLaughlin. Charles (September 24,
1866) McLaughlin was Sylvester’s son. Joseph and Nancy had no
children of record, and they raised Charles. He was known as Charles
Cousins until 1903 when he legally changed his name from McLaughlin
to Cousins. Joseph Cousins bought the south 57 acres of lot 19 in
1884 and two years later sold them to Warren McLaughlin. Joseph and
Nancy lived on lot 37 on the South Princeton Road before moving to
lot 18 about 1892.
Charles (March 23, 1867 – October 7, 1936) and Lucretia (July 15, 1879 – May 10, 1950) (Bragdon) Carlow were the next residents of this site. Their children were Nora, Llewellyn, Grace, Lima, Caroline, Ina, Charles Otis, Lois, Lewis and Juan. This family came here in 1910 and probably left after 1936 when Charles died. Their daughter Lenora Perkins sold the property to John M. Dudley in 1956. Several families rented here between the two dates including Millard Harriman and wife lived here ca 1940. Francis Lawless, who worked at the Labelle’s Mill, lived here with his wife Helena and children Mary, Jack, Billy and Patricia. Melvin Ross, truck driver for LaBelle Mill, his wife and three children lived here likely in 1946 – 7. Roscoe Malcolm was the last to live in the old house any amount of time; he was there about a year and a half.
Occasionally some locals who had moved away stayed here while visiting relatives or hunting; Ed Harriman and his wife Freda (Perkins) were two.
The old house was burned
in 1956. John and Marie Dudley
started living here summers in 1974 in a new barn, and built a house
on the old site in 1980 where they presently reside. This is where
John researches and writes the articles for the ACHS newsletters and
~217 Pokey Road
(lot 19) – This was Andrew and Phebe
Hunnewell’s home. Andrew was born on
October 9, 1832; his wife Phebe was born on December 11, 1844. They
were married in 1862. Their children: Susanna October 9, 1862, Ada
September 28, 1864, Jonathan December 20, 1866, Mary July 24, 1868,
Zylphia Ann October 11, 1870, Eunice November 14, 1872, Andrew June
16, 1878, Stephen November 15, 1883, and Earl November 1888. Andrew
purchased lots 18 and 19 on April 15, 1862 from Charles R. Whidden of
Calais, another land speculator. Included were ‘privileges and
appurtenances’. Orris Cousins and his sister Hazel Frost told
that Andrew lived on lot 19 by the bars and the rocked-up cellar.
This cellar has a well in it. The well in the cellar pin-points this
site. Andrew moved to lot 37, which was his father’s lot. I
suspect Andrew’s house had burned because the John Welch was
not taxed for a house.
Joe Hunnewell, who documented the name ‘tuf end’ for this neighborhood, presents a unique problem for the researcher. On paper he first appears in 1888, the autograph book quoted at the beginning of this article. On the census records he first appears in 1900 at age 37 in the family of Andrew and Phebe. Susanna, their first born, disappeared from records about the time that Joe appeared in records with a birth time of December 1862. Was he a twin of Susanna? Some who knew Joe state that Susie went to St. Stephen and, snip, snip, came back as Joe. Regardless of his gender, Joe led a storied life, mostly at tuf end.
Joe, a man of small stature, worked seasonally at the Cheney Mill and once his overalls got caught in a belt pulley; That swung him around until Sidney could shut the mill down. Joe was not hurt, but a double Canadian penny in his pocket was flattened.
Joe spent some off time digging for gold along the banks of Mill Brook, or should we call it Hunnewell Brook. Some thought him crazy, but at that time men were digging for gold all around eastern Maine, such as at Pembroke and Wesley.
While living at the Cheney house during WWI a wild thunder and night-time lightning storm caused part of the ceiling to fall; Joe ran to the Harriman house yelling, “Get in the cellar, the Germans are bombing us.”
a bachelor. His later years were spent ‘on the town’
living where ever the town could pay least for his care. As a pauper
in 1929 he lived with Ronald Perkins, Gladys Perkins and Morey
Hunnewell at a total cost to the town of $223.50. Noland Perkins
supplied clothing for Joe at $7.64. The town paid Dr. Norman Cobb of
Calais $10.00 for Joe’s care here in Alexander and the Calais
Hospital $88.50 for care there. When he died Ernest Scholl buried Joe
in the Alexander Cemetery on November 23, 1929 for $100.00. He was 69
years old and his grave is unmarked.
Warren McLaughlin and wife Roxanna
(Bailey) were deeded 57 acres of lot 19 in
October 1886 by Nancy and Joseph Cousins. Nancy was Warren’s
sister. They built a little house with no cellar between Andrew’s
cellar and the town road. The house was taxed in 1898. Warren and
Roxanna lived mostly in Princeton, occasionally they were Alexander
residents. Roxanna McLaughlin was Jasper Bailey’s sister.
Warren deeded (April 1914) the farm
to his daughter Laura Long of Calais so that she ‘would
provide, maintain suitable and comfortable support, food, raiment,
heat, light, nursing, for Warren and give him a decent burial.’
Laura sold the south 32 acres to Clarence Cousins in 1914, but
Clarence didn’t live here.
These two lots (57 acres) were sold in July 1926 by
Clarence’s father Charles Cousins to Lucretia Carlow (Charles).
The deed states that the grantor ‘resumes the right to enter
upon the premises hereby conveyed for the purposes of cultivating,
gathering and harvesting the crop of beans and potatoes now growing
on said land.’
It was Lucretia’s daughter
Lenora Perkins who deeded this 57 acres lot to John M. Dudley in
~233 Pokey Road (lot
19) - Sylvester McLaughlin
acquired the north 25 acres from his sister Nancy and Joseph Cousins
in 1898. He had a log house where he lived occasionally. He also had
a hay barn with a loft. There was a good spring between the house and
the road. His primary home was in Princeton and he came here to hay
for his animals. Was it meadow hay from around the lake or English
hay from the small fields near his house? He sold to Clarence Cousins
in 1914. The cellar to this house is the grave of Mel Hunnewell’s
blind horse. Had James Morrison lived here?
~243 Pokey Road
(lot 19) – Cellar that may have been house site of James
Morrison, see below.
~ 244 Pokey Road (lot 18) - Built about 1923 by Fred Harriman, this camp was acquired by Johnny Sommers. He had a store in Little Woodland and used the place until Stowell – MacGregor started its mill in 1935. (See article under ‘Making a Living’ Working in the Mill on web page). Edison Pineo and family lived there a winter in the mid 30s. He was a boss for Stowell-MacGregor. John Fitzsimmons worked at the same mill and lived here after Pineo. Lloyd and Mazie (Cheney) Blaney lived here from June to October 1946, the last year Stowell-MacGregor operated. Arthur Harriman spent summers here as an old man from 1947 through the early 50s. Arthur had arthritis so badly, he needed a neighbor to wind his pocket watch and open tin cans of food for him every day; but he still was a sure shot with a rifle! The camp was torn down in the early 60s.
216 Pokey Rd 2008 249 Pokey Rd 2008
249 Pokey Road (lot 19) – Robert and
Karen Hagenaars built this house about the time of their marriage
(ca 1973). They had at least two children, divorced and moved away.
Mike and Brenda Hunnewell were short time renters. Kenneth
and Cynthia Souza and sons arrived about 1982, then returned to
RI in late fall of 1984, water froze when the house ran out of oil.
Ellis and Ruby (Sowers) McArthur and their son Jamie arrived
here in the spring of 1986. In June 1997 the McArthurs moved to Peter
Hunnewell’s trailer at 296 South Princeton Road. Jonathan
Wheaton bought the place in July 1998, fixed it up and sold it in
September to Ronald and Linda Renaud. They and their daughters
Michelle and Denise are the present residents.
251 Pokey Road
(road intersection on lot 19) – Pine Tree Shore, a tributary to
Pokey Roads follows the lake shore easterly to and beyond the
Princeton town line. Along this road are many camps and year-round
homes constructed since 1970. Ernest LaBelle’s Sawmill was
accessed by this road in 1946, as was part of Stowell-MacGregor spool
bar mill after 1935. On the Web see Making a Living, Working in the
Mill” for more on these mills and the Cheney Mill.
258 Pokey Road (road
intersection on lot 18) – Fish House Lane, the second tributary
to the Pokey Road meanders westerly for about ¼ of a mile. It
is described in issue 110, page 8. Here we will tell about one site,
3 Fish House Lane, that abuts the Pokey Road.
3 Fish House Lane
– Fred Harriman
bought a 10-acre site from Jasper Bailey in 1894. Had someone lived
there earlier? Within a few years Fred built a house and moved to
Alexander. Over time he acquired almost all of lot 18. He had two
reasons for moving here; he and Frank Averill had planted pickerel in
Pocomoonshine Lake and he wanted to harvest a crop, and his
brother-in-law Sidney Cheney had settled across the Pokey Road. The
pickerel flourished and Fred, starting in 1899 or 1900 caught fish,
packed them in ice at his fish house at 19 Fish House Lane, hauled
them to the train station in Woodland to be delivered at the market
in Boston the next day. The ice came from Pocomoonshine Lake and the
box shooks from Cheney’s mill.
Climemia died in 1909, Fred died in 1938. Their daughter Edith died
in 1940 and her husband Jim Crouse
lived at this site until he died in 1948. Edith’s daughter
Thelma (Smith) Hartford sold the place to William
and Viola Green of New York State. Bill had
the old house taken down and the present building erected. The house
was used summers by the Green family.
Richard and Jewell
Lundgren acquired the place. He was an
engineer at GP in Woodland. They used the place seasonally starting
in 1963 and also rented to game warden Gaynor
Peary. Richard died in 1971 and the following
year it was sold to Robert and Frances Hillary
of Maryland. They used it seasonally.
In August 1976 Hillary sold it to Peter and Karen Sears who lived here for a decade with their three children, Jenny, Alicia and Timmy. Peter is a great great-grandson of Fred Harriman. Peter and his family moved to a bermed home on the Arm Road. In January 1986 Vincent and Patricia Gavin of Massachusetts bought the place and used it as a summer home.
From 1997 until recently
this has been the year-round home of Greg and
Willow Owen and their children now grown
Julian and Chelsea. Now it is used as a vacation home as the Owens
live in South Carolina. In the winter of 2010-11 it is rented to a
Cullen family connected with the Border Patrol.
266 Pokey Road
(lot 18) – This log cabin was built in the mid 1930s and used
by Stowell – MacGregor. See a description of this building and
the mill on this Web Site under Making a Living/ Working at the
Mill/Stowell MacGregor Mill. Owners Green, Lundgren and Gavin used
the building primarily for storage, Sears used it also for a
playhouse for the kids, and Owens have renovated it and rented it
269 Pokey Road
(lot 19) – Sidney Cheney built a house near the shore about the
turn of the century. He appears first on the 1910 Alexander census
age 49. His wife Flora (Harriman) was 41. Their five youngest
children, all sons, range from 1 ½ to 20. Flora’s father
Jaob Harriman, age 79, lived with them. Sidney’s son Harold
married Fred Harriman’s daughter Ruth. Harold’s older
sister Bertha married Fay McArthur from 26 Pokey Road. Sidney’s
mill building, steam powered, was farther from the lake. The site was
part of the Stowell MacGregor Mill. All the buildings disappeared
Carleton Davis acquired the shore
part of lot 19. Holding out two lots, he soon sold the rest to
Antoine Hagenaars who developed the shoreline. Carleton moved an
Eastern Pulpwood woods camp next to the brook. Jimmy Davis rented for
a while. Carleton transferred the lot and building to his
mother-in-law Zela Cousins. Zela sold to another daughter Clarice and
her husband Fletcher Perkins in 1985. They added to the camp, using
it for ice fishing and picnics. In September 2005 they sold to
Charles McLaughlin and family who visit Pocomoonshine Lake mostly for
266 Pokey Rd – 1991 269 Pokey Rd - 2008