John Dudley prepared this article for the August 2001 issue 110. It was updated in 2010.

Fish House Lane is a short private road that runs west from the north end of the Pokey Road, paralleling Pocomoonshine Lake. Its name comes from Fred Harriman’s fish house that was located off the road by the lake during the first third of the twentieth century. Issue 96 had an article describing Fred’s commercial fishing operations. A history of the Pokey Road, ‘Tuf End’, will be found on this web site after it is printed in a 2011 newsletter.


3 Fish House Lane                                                                15 Fish House Lane

3 Fish House LaneFred Harriman bought this house site from Jasper Bailey in 1894. Within a few years Fred built a house and moved to Alexander. Over time he acquired almost all of lot 18. He had two reasons for moving here; he and Frank Averill had planted pickerel in Pocomoonshine Lake and he wanted to harvest a crop, and his brother-in-law had settled across the Pokey Road. The pickerel flourished and Fred, starting in 1899 or 1900 caught fish, packed them in ice at his fish house at 19 Fish House Lane, hauled them to the train station in Woodland to be delivered at the market in Boston the next day. The ice came from Pocomoonshine Lake and the box shooks from Sidney Cheney’s mill.

Fred’s wife Climemia died in 1909, Fred died in 1938. Their daughter Edith died in 1940 and her husband Jim Crouse lived at this site until he died in 1948. Edith’s daughter Thelma (Smith) Hartford sold the place to William and Viola Green of New York State. Bill had the old house taken down and the present building erected. The house was used summers by the Green family.

Richard and Jewell Lundgren acquired the place. He was an engineer at GP in Woodland. They used the place seasonally starting in 1963 and also rented to game warden Gaynor Peary. Richard died in 1971 and the following year it was sold to Robert and Frances Hillary of Maryland. They used it seasonally.

Hillary sold it to Peter and Karen Sears who lived here for a decade with their three children, Jenny, Alicia and Timmy. Peter is a great great-grandson of Fred Harriman. Peter and his family moved to a bermed home on the Arm Road. In 1986 Vincent and Patricia Gavin of Massachusetts bought the place and used it as a summer home.

From 1997 until recently this has been the year-round home of Greg and Willow Owen and their children Julian and Chelsea. Now it is used as a vacation home as the Owens live in South Carolina.

15) Fish House Lane - Muskrat Hut - Jason or Sumner Hartford, husband of Thelma (Smith) Hartford started building this camp about 1948. In 1960 their heirs sold it to Bill Green who had the camp finished. It has been used by the Green family ever since, first Bill’s grandson, Robert Green who sold the camp to his cousin Cheryl Green and she willed it to her son Ryan Volpe

19 Fish House Lane – PokeShine - This camp was built in 1910 for my grandfather, Herbert J. Dudley of Calais. It was his moose hunting camp. He was one of those sports from the city who also had a fishing camp on West Grand Lake, and a deer hunting camp in Charlotte. This building passed to his son, John M. Dudley who used it as a seasonal home until 1974 when he retired here. After his death in 1988, it became the property of third generation, Susan (Dudley) Strickland and John H. Dudley. The property is now held by a family trust. The trust rents the camp in the summer. The cellar for Fred Harriman’s fish house is near PokeShine. It is interesting to note that all the logs in the main camp are spruce that were cut near Pocomoonshine Mountain. They had been yarded to the log-hauler road. Arthur Middlemiss from out back of St. Stephen selected the logs from these huge piles, hauled them on the ice across Pocomoonshine Lake on a set of sleds drawn by a pair of horses and built the camp. That was in the winter of 1909-10. Charles Cousins and Jack (John M.) built the boathouse and the new ice house in the mid 30s. In the early 1950’s, when electricity came our way, indoor plumbing was installed, and the icehouse was converted to a bunkhouse by Harold Cousins and Jack.


19 Fish House Lane ~                              “The new garage” at Pocomoonshine Lake Lodges

27 Fish House Lane - There is a small cellar hole in the corner of a tiny garden plot here. It has always been called Jasper Bailey’s place. Orris Cousins asked me if Austin Ash had once lived here. I’ve never found evidence of that, nor found Ash listed in Alexander records, however I’ve learned not to deny such possibilities. About 50 years ago, I found a Civil War bayonet in the garden after Harold Cousins had ploughed it. That sort of ties the home site with the Bailey family. Jasper or his father, Civil War veteran Isaiah Bailey, likely lived here between 1879 and 1890. He also likely cleared the fields that later were used by Stowell-MacGregor as sticking fields. Mel Hunnewell (1891 – 1982) remembered the building.

31 Fish House Lane - Pocomoonshine Lake Lodges - Men of wealth who lived in the “city” and were interested in hunting and fishing often built sporting camps. From the time of the Civil War, the locations of these camps spread farther and farther from the “city” as means of transportation improved. Steamships and rail lines brought the “sports” to our area about the turn of the century.

Louis B. Adams of New York City arrived on the shore of Pocomoonshine Lake in 1909. He acquired land from Fred Harriman on August 5, and had a set of camps built. He later acquired three more pieces of land from Harriman, in 1911, 1915, and 1919. He was a man with a dark complexion who had a heart problem, and he owned those camps until his death. It is my understanding that Charles and Lucretia Carlow of the Pokey Road named their ninth child, Louis Adams Carlow (Dec. 5, 1914 - Jan. 3, 1992] after this man, and that Lois Carlow and Juan Carlow also got their names from the Adams family.

In the spring of 1935, Robert L. Pond of the Bronx, New York bought the set-up from Adam’s nephew Richard Adams. Pond, a stockbroker, had spent time at Grand Lake Stream hunting and fishing with Chester Yates as his guide. The following paragraphs describe the camps between 1934 and 1948. Herbie Fitzpatrick gave most of this information in January of 1996.

Lewis B. Adams dressed as many city sports did at the time. The guide was also dressed as most local rural men. The picture is dated July 26, 1930. This picture likely was not taken at Pocomoonshine Lake.

The camps consisted of four log buildings, three with frame additions. A frame boathouse was near the shore. A framed cook's house with sheds and the old garage were near the main lodge. Later a "new garage" was built by Charles Cousins on the way into the camp yard. A water tower stood near the old garage and a set of doghouses completed the buildings.

The main lodge had a kitchen where the cook prepared all the food. During Pond's years, that cook was Katherine Beaton. Katherine was from Mabou Mines, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, and worked year round for the Ponds. Unlike most homes in Alexander at that time, the kitchen had running water. Refrigeration was in the form of a cylindrical aluminum icebox that stood in the entryway. The ice came from Pocomoonshine Lake and Charles Cousins was the man who supplied it.

The main lodge also had a large dining/living room and a glassed-in porch.

West of the main lodge were the other three log buildings. The first two were identical, each with a porch, a large sitting room, a small bedroom, and a bathroom with running water. The first was the Ponds’ camp. The second was their guest camp The last log building had only the porch and a living room with a large stone fireplace. Yes, it was the living room.

The cook's house or guide's camp was in two parts. Katherine had her room, and Herbie had his.

Herbie Fitzpatrick went to work in the fall of 1934 for Louis Adams. Herbie's Uncle Zealie Smith had worked for Adams for many years. Zealie had bought Duck Lake Camps, so he got his nephew to take over his old job, and gave him some training.

Each spring Herbie had to open the camps, the battens had to be removed from the windows and doors, the boats and canoes pulled out of the boat house and prepared for the season, the water and electrical systems activated. The water system was a gasoline-powered pump with a big flywheel that moved the lake water to the tower. From the tower the water ran by gravity to the camps. The electric system was 32-volt direct current. All along one wall of the old garage were large storage batteries. A gasoline powered “Delco” generator was cranked up once a day to charge the batteries. The batteries powered lights in the camps.

When the Ponds were at camp, Herbie started his day by putting on a fire in each occupied camp, and in the kitchen. He took care of all the details such as filling wood boxes and helping Katherine with cooking and laundry. He was the chauffeur whenever the car went to town, and was Mr. Pond's guide whenever he went fishing or hunting. He would paddle the canoe, or run the big boat which had a four cylinder marine engine. Whenever he was out with Mr. Pond, Herbie carried a pocket full of cookies for Pond was a diabetic.

Robert Pond was a gentleman and a serious upland bird hunter. Pliney Frost remembers him as the only one to ask permission to hunt on the Frost farm at the foot of Lanes Hill. Pond had a number of hunting dogs, including one that cost $500. The dogs spent the winter at St. Stephen with Charles "Chic" Middlemiss. Charles was a brother of Arthur, the builder of PokeShine.

The fishing was good in those days. Five-pound pickerel were common and the white perch were enormous. This was still in the time of Fred Harriman and the commercial fishing on the lake. Herbie never caught a trout, but there were eels to no end. One day he took a Mr. Davis fishing. Davis, a friend of Pond's, was the president of the American Locomotive Company and not much of a fisherman. Out around the first point, Davis hooked onto a large fish. He never set the hook, he yelled at Herbie to "Watch the boat!" (they were in a canoe), but dragged the fish in close enough for Herbie to net. It was a small mouth bass that weighed about five pounds and was the first Herbie had seen taken out of Pocomoonshine Lake.

One of the interesting things in the main lodge was a stuffed "Arctic" or snowy owl. Arthur Harriman had shot the owl down river and Mr. Pond had had it stuffed.

Other people who were at the camp included Mr. Pond's aunt, Mrs. Hibbet, Mrs. Pond's niece Miss Tewksbury and their friends Mr. and Mrs. Burns of New York. Harley Andrews helped at times with jobs, and Cecil Hatfield repaired the Delco and boat engines when needed.

Herbie and Ethel Fitzpatrick were long time residents of Baring. They last lived at Sun Rise Apartments in Calais. They were members of the Alexander Grange. Thanks Herbie!

On October 8, 1949, Eldon P. and Bea Embleton of Harvey, New Brunswick acquired the property of Robert L. Pond from his widow. The Embletons made several changes to the buildings to create a public sporting camp.

The new garage was converted into a two-unit rental and the former guides and cooks camp was made into one rental. The three log camps along the lakeshore became units 4 – 6 and were unchanged except for a bathroom being added to unit 6.

Commercial electric power was available from Dennys River Electric Coop so the old 32-volt generator and batteries were abandoned. Also an electric water pump was easier to maintain than the old gas pump, so the old water tower was taken down.

In May 1953, Eugene Moriarty and Egbert “Bert” Inman brought the property and business from Embleton. In June of the following year, the Moriartys became sole owners of the Lodges.


Pocomoonshine Lake Lodges: #3 “the guides camp”                                                               and #6

Gene and Estelle Moriarty made one major change over the years in the operation of the camps. They had purchased a Continental Plan business where all meals were prepared by the owners and served on the enclosed porch of the main lodge or taken up lake as picnics by the sports. They changed this to American Plan where each unit had a kitchen and no meals were provided by the owners. The two units in the new garage became one unit with one of the rooms becoming a kitchen. Kitchen areas were built into the other units as well.

Later the Moriartys built a two-bedroom addition onto the main lodge making it a comfortable home. They turned number 3 camp by 90 degrees so that it faced the lake, and moved the sheds back beside the old garage. Gene and Estelle spent 35 seasons at the lodges. When they started, they had to drive to Charlie Brown’s store to use the telephone.

In June 1988 Jeff Wright purchased the lodges and he continued to run them as a public sporting camp for about a decade. Today, Jeff rents only occasionally.