John M. Dudley
Grand Lake and Pokey Stories

December 1982

(Names and other words that could not be transcribed exactly are in italics. Unknown voices are referred to as “man” or “woman.” Comments, explanations, and additional names are in parentheses.)

John H. Dudley: Went fishing up on the Restigouche.

John M. Dudley: Lewis Eaton, oh had - ran the Eaton Lumber Company, which was up in the Province of Quebec. Lewis would go up there several times a year and check his operation and saw mill, and he had a fellow there at the mill who worked for him. I’ve forgotten his name. But, in the - during the time of the year when the salmon were running up on the Restigouche, this particular fellow had a job as caretaker for this sporting camp up there. It wasn’t a public camp. It was a private camp owned by people from New York, and of course, when they - the way the law over there in New Brunswick was and in Quebec at that time, people who came in - they could buy from the government a stretch of the river and have exclusive rights to fish it. Nobody else could fish on it. And these wealthy people would do that. However, this fellow had arranged it so that when none of the sports from New York were there, that if he wanted to entertain two or three of his friends there, he could. And, he would let Lewis Eaton know when there were going to be three or four days when there wasn’t going to be anybody there and if he wanted to come up and bring a friend, to come right ahead. So, my father used to go up there, he and Lewis used to go up. And, matter of fact, I think probably most of the time they went they took Mrs. Eaton, Jessie, and they took my mother. And my mother - they both caught fish up there. And, they’d go up there and stay at a nice camp, meals and everything supplied and this fellow would take them out fishing there, and they caught - of course the fishing at that time was excellent. And, they’d all bring home three or four salmon all packed in ice. He did go up on the Tobique River which was a tributary to the Saint John. He went up there a couple times, he and Frisky Osbourne, (Frisky Osbourne ran a drug store in Calais) and then I went up there once or twice. Twice, I think. At the time - at the time on the Tobique River, the fishing was good there. I don’t - I don’t know of any other places he went. I can’t remember any other places. Years ago, he used to fish out on Cathanco Lake. That was back a long time ago. Of course fishing Cathanco’s Lake used to be wonderful. Trout fishing. It was a wonderful trout lake - you could catch - oh, it was beautiful trout fishing, and then somebody got the idea that if it was a good trout lake, it would make a good salmon lake and they put salmon in there and ever since there hasn’t been much of either. They just didn’t get along. They should have left it alone. I think they only hunted moose out here one year. Might have been more than that, I can’t remember. That must have been back probably 1910, 11 or 12, about that time. Far as I know - my memory is concerned - what I’ve been told it was only one - they shot just one moose out here.

John H. Dudley: Other than fishing and hunting, did your father have any other interests?

John M. Dudley: I would say no other interests, other than the law. He wasn’t interested in carpentry work. He couldn’t even pound a nail straight. He liked to play cards. He read a lot, but the principle thing was the hunting and fishing for recreation. They had a what they called “The Evening Club” in Calais, and I think there were eight couples that belonged to it. And, I think they had it set up on a schedule so they met at each house once during the fall and winter to play cards, and they all - the women all wore evening gowns and the men all wore prince alberts, and they had a great time. I can remember around the tail end of it - the existence of “The Evening Club” that one night the club was being - the meeting was being held over at Jones’ house over on Peace Street. And, that was the night that the Opera House burned. I don’t remember what time the fire started, but shall we say around eight or nine o’clock and the wind was down river and the sparks were coming right over the house there on the avenue. And, I had gone up and out through the window onto the roof. The roof at the time, by the way, on that building was covered with cedar shingles. And, I had gone out - out through there and got up on the ridgepole and I had an Indian pump can on my back and I sat up there on the roof watching the sparks come down and if they went out, why that was it, and if they looked as if they weren’t going to go out, why I’d give them a squirt of water. And, I worked out the ridgepole - out towards the front of the building, and I got out there - when I got out there I could look down on everything. The Masonic Hall was fairly well lighted up with the flames. Of course the walls of that building didn’t collapse. She just burned right up through the top.

John H. Dudley: The - the brick walls (indistinct words)

John M. Dudley: The brick walls - the brick walls are still there. And, out there there was a place probably four inches across that was burning very merrily. So, I squirted that. I got that all out. Then I looked down around the corner there on Temperance Street - there was the Bridge Club. They paraded around in their evening gowns. It must have been in warm weather - warm enough so that you could see how they were dressed all right. They didn’t have overcoats on, and they paraded up and paraded up onto the sidewalk there and stood out there on the sidewalk and looked through and watched the Opera House burn. All in their prince alberts and evening gowns. They didn’t even see me up there and I didn’t holler at them.

John H. Dudley: That would have been about the 1920s again?

John M. Dudley: No, that would have been - I’d say that would have been in the early ‘30s - very late ‘20s - around 1930 or close (indistinct words)

John H. Dudley: Now, they went to - your parents went roaming down to Barbados. What other trips did they take?

John M. Dudley: That’s the only trip of any length - maybe one - maybe two or three possibly trips to Boston.

John H. Dudley: On the train?

John M. Dudley: I do not remember of going - the family going down there on the train. Perhaps they did. I do remember of driving down and it was quite an adventure in those days. It took about three days. Three or four days, maybe. It was quite a trip. The roads were poor. They weren’t well marked. I can remember one of the places we used to stay overnight was in Biddeford at Aunt Percie’s house.

John H. Dudley: Oh, yes.

John M. Dudley: She lived there at that time. Persis Hampson. She would have been my great aunt. Sister of my Grandfather Dudley. And, I do not remember where the other stops were, but it must have taken three or four days to drive down there. I guess possibly the first - probably the first two or three times we went we probably went by train because you could - well you could go - you could get on the train in Calais in the afternoon and be in the North Station the next morning.

John H. Dudley: Yes.

John M. Dudley: Even in those days. At that time it would take you six, seven hours to get to Bangor over the Airline. Yes. But other than those trips - a couple three trips to Boston, I can’t remember of going anywhere. (Indistinct words)

John H. Dudley: Your father - your father was a - you said he grew up in Pembroke and went to Washington Academy.

John M. Dudley: He was born in Calais, I believe. And then he moved - they went back to Pembroke and he grew up in Pembroke, and he apparently went to the public schools in Pembroke and then he went to Washington Academy over to East Machias. And, I guess perhaps after he was over there, why possibly he may have taught off and on in between because he finally went to Bowdoin . When he went to Bowdoin, which was down in Brunswick, he went to Eastport by horse, and then took the boat from Eastport to Portland, and then went from Portland to Brunswick on a trolley car. That was - at the time - the time he was going down there, there were no trains east of Bangor. Washington County Railroad didn’t come down through here until 1895. That’s the way he got down there. Then he went to Bowdoin. Then he came back and when he came back he apparently must have come directly to Calais and he worked at the customs office and studied law in General B. B. Murray’s law office. And, he kept that up until he was admitted to the bar and then he devoted his time to the practice of law. When he was working that - doing that, he lived at the St. Croix Exchange at least part of the time. Because I have a cribbage board here that has his name on it and the date and the room number at the St. Croix Exchange.

John H. Dudley: Where was that, anyway?

John M. Dudley: The St. Croix Exchange was where the old Emmons Hotel used to be. That would be right where Dec Thomas ( Dexter Thomas) has his filling station now, right across the road from the old Opera House. Yes. That hotel later - I can remember when it was called the Emmons and in time it was torn down. The other one, the one up river which is the present St. Croix and has been the St. Croix for many years although it did have other names. I don’t think it was ever called the St. Croix Exchange.

John H. Dudley: What about going into Canada back in - about your parents going to Canada - have friends over there.

John M. Dudley: Oh, it was all one community. You know, you went back and forth across the bridge. People who lived in St. Stephen had businesses in Calais and people who lived in Calais had businesses in St. Stephen or on both sides. There was no - you thought nothing of it. It was all one community. You did your shopping - shopped on both sides, depended on what you wanted to get. There really wasn’t any great fussiness about it until, I guess along about World War Two.

John H. Dudley: Yes.

John M. Dudley: And, then they started being a little more fussy and at one time you even had to - you not only had to stop going into Canada, but you had to stop when you left Canada.

John H. Dudley: Well - had that in the States, too, during the war, I guess.

John M. Dudley: Yes, and, checked up on that, but wasn’t any problem. Everybody got along fine. Just like one community.

John H. Dudley: Your father was in politics for a spell.

John M. Dudley: Well, like most people in his position there in Calais, he was a - I don’t know whether he was ever an alderman, but they used to have aldermen - mayor and aldermen form of government there. And, various different ones would be mayor and he was mayor for a term or two. Anybody in that position usually was - doctors and lawyers. He was mayor for a year or two or three whichever it was. And then he - then the only other politics he was in, he was elected County Attorney. He was County Attorney for a great, great many years. He liked to do it. He got reelected - I don’t - I can’t remember now how many - twenty odd years - over that, I guess. He was County Attorney and finally one year he was defeated in the primary and he - the next year - the next election he ran for the legislature, and he went down to Augusta for one term. He was only in there one term. And at that time, the - the County Attorney at that time was - Harold Murchie was County Attorney then. Harold resigned and the governor appointed my father and he held the job until he died.

John H. Dudley: What was the cause of his death?

John M. Dudley: Heart, I guess.

John H. Dudley: He was a reasonably young man.

John M. Dudley: Way over weight. Way over weight.

John H. Dudley: Now, let’s see. There’s one story you told once about - I don’t know who he was with, but one or two of them being out hunting up on East Ridge, Cooper, concerning a deer?

John M. Dudley: That was Jerry Jones.

John H. Dudley: Jerry Jones.

John M. Dudley: Jerry Jones was out there on the East Ridge and had gone down in on one of those roads back in there about a mile and they shot this deer, and it was a good sized deer, and they dressed it out and was standing there wondering how in thunder - neither of them wanted to carry it out - drag it out such a long way. And, Nathan Dodge came along, and Nathan looked at the deer and says, that’s a nice deer. Jerry says, yes, it’s a nice deer but it’s too big. Nobody could carry that deer from here out to the road. We’ll have to get a horse. And, Nathan says, no, he says, you don’t need a horse. He says, I can carry that deer. My father says, well, he says, you can try it, but be sure and rest, he says, it must be a mile from here out, and Nathan says, here, you carry my gun. And, Nathan picked up the deer on his back and started and the both of them kept saying how strong he was and what a wonderful he was and when he’d start staggering a little bit and they figured he was going to put the deer down to rest, they’d start talking about how strong he was again, and he carried the deer all the way out to the road and never laid it down. Nathan Dodge. Big man - most of the Dodges were.

John H. Dudley: Yes, his son still lives over there.

John M. Dudley: Huh, that take care of you?

John H. Dudley: It’s quite a bit.

John H. Dudley: I’ll tip that up a little bit. Want to say something and see what you sound like?

John M. Dudley: Yes, nice morning. It’s all-l-l shiny and bright this morning.

John H. Dudley: Yes. Ok. So - fixed it up all right. I thought maybe you might like to tell us something about your parents - something that I could perhaps share later on with Alexis and Rachel. (Grandchildren of John M. Dudley.)

John M. Dudley: Well, of course my mother was born in St. Stephen, New Brunswick, but she was brought up on the sawdust flats edging bed up in Milltown.

Telephone rings followed by indistinct words and then pause.

John H. Dudley: That - that house that you were referring to is the one that is beside that park there in Milltown?

John M. Dudley: Yes, the one that is right there by the park in Milltown, and at the time there - they were there, why my Grandfather Murchie was the - he ran the Murchie Mills - sawmills down on the river. It was while they were living there that she met my father. She used to go up to Milltown and visit an aunt - a so-called aunt of his that lived nearby. And, one day - one night - evening he took her out for a ride with the horse and found the snow was deep and the horse was stepping along and the pung slipped off the road and tipped over and my mother went out of the pung right into the snow bank. She didn’t like that and she got out and she told my father to take her right straight home. Which she said and did. Well anyway, they got married and the first place they lived was on Washington Street in Calais. They rented half a house where the present gymnasium is in behind what they now call the Middle School. I think it was in 1914 that they bought the house down on Calais Avenue and lived there thereafter. My mother was very interested in the Episcopal Church in Calais. When she was in Milltown she went to the Methodist Church but when she moved to Calais she went to the Episcopal Church. And, she did a lot of work and she put on plays and she had a Sunday School class. The Sunday School class was all girls and one of her Sunday School class girls eloped - ran off with a fellow. He had stolen a car and they went to Bangor and when they got to Bangor they broke into a store there where he stole a trousseau for her and then they continued south. I guess he must have switched cars along the way because he finally got picked up and he ended up in Atlanta. I guess that was a federal prison. And, it was the same prison that - oh-h-h the big shot out there in the Middle West - the big criminal there.

John H. Dudley: Al Capone?

John M. Dudley: Al Capone. Al Capone was staying there at the same time, but Al Capone, although perhaps many people didn’t realize it - Al Capone was quite a violinist and this fellow learned to play the violin from Al Capone. When he came back, why he did very well. I mean he behaved himself. I don’t know whatever happened to the girl, but that was that. She used to go to church every Sunday. She used to drag me there. I went for quite a while - had to. I had to go to Sunday School. That took all Sunday morning. And, then on Saturday mornings they’d always send me to the dentist and in the afternoon for a long time they made me go to dancing school. So that took up all my Saturdays. Between that on Saturday and going to church on Sunday, I didn’t have much time. Only time of the week I had off. I was going to school the rest of the time. However, one Sunday morning I announced I wasn’t going to go to church because I didn’t feel good, had a stomach ache. My mother said all right if you have a stomach ache, you have to take a dose of castor oil. I said all right. So, I took the castor oil. Of course then I couldn’t go to church, Sunday School. That happened about two or three Sundays in a row, and then after that I didn’t go to church so much. I guess I went to Sunday School or one or the other. That was the cure - the castor oil. It worked out very nicely. Yes. Yes. And, my father he went to church probably about twice a year. I think he always used to go on Easter and probably one other time, but in the spring just as soon as the ice would go out he went - he liked to go fishing, and he went fishing every weekend. Usually he and Jerry Jones, they would go up to - he liked to fish on the lakes. Mostly they went up to West Grand. He had a camp up there and they would go up there every weekend. Fishing was good up there. And, once every spring my mother would go up. She’d even give up church. She always planned it so she could go in May - about the middle of May. She planned it so she could go before the black flies came out. Black flies came out - usually started in those days about the queen’s birthday, 24th of May. So she usually would go up there the weekend prior to the queen’s birthday. And, they would stay - first they used to stay in various camps around the lake. Back in those days the - a number of camps up there - some of the bigger sets of them had guide camps and the guide camps were always left open and anybody came along could use them if there was nobody there. And, then there were two or three other camps around the lake which were available. Just contact the people and if they weren’t using them why you could go there and stay. And, then a later he got a camp. Bought a camp that Tom Brown had down on Kitching Cove Point. It was a nice little camp right on the end of that point which was all rocks and when the wind was blowing you just - impossible to land there. And, then he bought the old Pineo Camp on Sand Cove - bought it from Steve Pineo used to run the store in Calais - up in Milltown. And, the camp was pretty well shot to pieces. There had been a logging operation there and a set of camps for that. And, they burned - they saved enough logs out of the old camps to build a cook camp and then they burned all the rest of them. And, then they built the cook camp which was hooked on to the main camp with a little dingle and he used that camp for quite a number of years. That was a good - nice camp. It was a good chance to land there, nice sand beach. It was a good place to land. In those days fishing was good. You could go up there and start out in Grand Lake Stream in the middle of the morning or the morning and fish - soon as you got up Munsun Island and start fishing and you’d always have fish for dinner. Go on shore wherever you happened to be - one of the lunch grounds and build a fire and broil the - either salmon or - usually salmon or togue. Most of the time it would be salmon. You caught both salmon and togue, and you caught -you caught quite a few trout but not as many as the other.

John H. Dudley: What boat - kind of boat did you - did he use up there in Grand Lake?

John M. Dudley: The first boat he had up there was a row boat. A Lapstreat rowboat that probably was - I think must have been 16 feet long. It was a good sized one. It had a set of oars in it and it also had a - when the outboard motor came out why he got an outboard motor. The outboard motor - the first ones that came out - all they had was a wheel on the top of them that you had to take hold of and turn. The coil - there was a separate coil and then you had to have a separate battery, a dry cell. And, you hooked the battery and the coil up and hook it on to the motor and then you’d twirl that thing and finally get it started. They were miserable - those early motors. They were horrible. But, anyway they - he had different motors for that. He still had that rowboat when they first made the motor that had a - a gear shift in it. The original motors, the minute they started - the propeller started - away they went. He got one with - the new ones that had a gear shift in it, which you could put it in neutral, forward or reverse. And, he and Jerry Jones went up there and put it on the boat and didn’t have much trouble. They got her going, and she was in reverse - went backwards, and neither of them knew how to get it out of reverse so they said well that’s all right, and they backed all the way from Grand Lake Stream clear all the way up the lake wherever they were going. And, they fished that day. They didn’t use the motor for fishing because the motors wouldn’t go slow enough. The next day somebody saw them backing - going across the lake and came over. He knew how to put the thing in - take it out of reverse so he showed them how to do that. And, from then on they were all right with that motor. And, then he had a big boat. He got Uncle Vic (Victor Murchie) to make a boat for him. That boat must have been - oh-h, she must have been 22 feet long, I’d say. A good sized boat. And, there was a - an engine - it had a Pontiac automobile engine in it. Now in fact, it was a Pontiac engine came out of a car that John Miner had at one time. And, that was taken up to Grand Lake. Andy Marrs and one or two of his boys took it up. They hauled that boat from Calais up to Grand Lake Stream with a pair of horses on a - rigged up a truck wagon to hold it, and hauled her up on that all the way and put her in. And, at the same time that he got that boat there, why my father leased a little piece of land right there in Hatchery Cove and built a boat house there so you could put the boat right in and they used that boat up there until - as long as they had the place. Later on, why I sold the camp and I had the boat and the boat house for quite a while - another year or two. Finally I sold them - sold them. The big boat - she could really step - go right along yet you could throttle her down so you could fish out of it.

John H. Dudley: At the same time that he had a place at Grand Lake Stream or Grand Lake, he had this place here? (Camp in Alexander)

John M. Dudley: Yes, he had this place here before he had the ones up there. But, of course in this lake here there were no - there wasn’t any salmon fishing.

John H. Dudley: What was his purpose of - of coming out here?

John M. Dudley: He built this place for hunting.

John H. Dudley: For hunting.

John M. Dudley: Yes, at that time there was a season on moose. This was good moose country. And, then they closed the season on moose, and he used to come out here duck hunting in the fall, but in the spring, why he’d always - for a few years he came here because he stocked Dwelley’s Lake over here with landlocked salmon. Those landlocked salmon came from the Federal Fish Hatchery. I think it was down at Orland. They came in on the train in ten gallon pails with a hunk of ice on the top. And, you’d meet the train in Calais in the old Model T Ford and then you’d bring those cans out and you’d distribute the fish along the shore of the lake. And, they took very well in Dwelley’s Lake, and for a few years there was excellent salmon fishing. When I was - oh-h perhaps in grammar school - oh, when I got to be about 13, 14, or 15, I could drive out there to Dwelley’s Lake after school in May and June - after school - get out there, shall we say half past three or four o’clock and fish ‘til dark - (indistinct words) we’d always catch three or four landlocked salmon. They’d go three or four pounds a piece. And, then unfortunately, a couple of the local inhabitants there decided to - they’d like some salmon, and in the fall when the salmon were moving around - there were no natural spawning areas coming into the lake but there was a brook that ran out of there, and they would lift the - take a plank and open the dam there at the foot of lake and let the salmon run down into a mill pond which was just below there, and then they’d close the dam again, and then they’d go down and lift the dam or open up the dam which held the mill pond and drain the water out of that and then they’d take pitch forks and take the salmon out and put them in meal sacks or burlap bags and take them home. And, I suppose probably they smoked them or did something and have a winter’s supply of fish out of it. And, they did that for a while and after that happened Father lost interest in the place. Then he went - that’s when he started going up to Grand Lake. He did keep coming back here for the duck hunting in the fall. And, of course, we used to come out - used to live out here in the summer. When we first started - but, my mother wouldn’t come out until the first of August because the mosquitoes and black flies. So, we used to come out the - about the first of August and stay out here until school started. And, my father drove back and forth. Back in those days there weren’t too many cars. We had a car and every time he’d go in or out, why there were always some of the local people get ride in or out with him. That kept up - there was one fall - the fall of 19 - I don’t remember whether it was 1918 or 1919. I guess it was 1919. Might have been 18. It was the year we had the flu epidemic in the country. Matter of fact, I guess they had it all over the world, and people were dying right and left and they didn’t open the schools and that year we had come out here in August, and we stayed right out here through I guess probably up to the first of November - stayed as long as we could. Of course at that time, this building wasn’t - wasn’t made for winter - cold weather occupancy. The wind blew through it every place. You couldn’t heat it. It was all right in warm weather, but not otherwise. So, that year - and of course later on why I used to come out - we used to come out here and stay in the summers - live out here in the summer and even in the spring, we used to get out. Now we live here the year round.

John H. Dudley: Now, at one time your father had a boat house down here on the water - out over the water?

John M. Dudley: When he first built this place - I don’t know - can’t remember whether he built it at the same time the camp was built or - or possibly the next year. He bought a Swampscot dory, salt water boat, built on the dory line. Boat was made someplace down in Massachusetts, made for use in salt water - very, very seaworthy - very heavily constructed. She was I think 18 feet long and it had a - the original engine in it was an old - I don’t remember the make of it but it was one of the old make and break so-called motors. It didn’t have a spark plug - the - same as - similar to the spark plugs we have now. There was a rod went up - came up the cam- and came up and flipped a lever up there and every time it flipped it, why it broke these two points apart and that’s where the spark - where you got your spark. And, he built a boat house down here on the shore just about where the present boat house is, but he built it out over the water so he could run the boat into it. That was all lovely and beautiful but the shore here is a bold shore - no protection and the very next spring when the ice went out of the lake, the ice took the boat house because it had no protection. You can build a boat house out over the water if you are at the outlet of a lake or where a brook comes in or in a sheltered cove where you can take pains to keep the ice away from it or break the ice up. Of course if there’s enough motion to the water, why of course the ice wouldn’t freeze too quick. It would melt first in the spring. But on a bold shore when you get a sheet of ice moving like it does here along this shore, why it’d move that ice house just as easy as could be - think nothing of it. That was the last of the ice houses. From then on, the boat - Charlie Cousins would come down in the fall and bring his horse and he’d put rollers down - stuff about the same as a stick of pulp wood - put one of those down - hook onto the boat and the horse would pull and then he’d put another roller down and he’d just keep reversing the - changing the rollers until he got her up into the bushes - up out of the way of the water and then he built a little wooden frame over it and put tar paper over it - keep the snow and water out of it. And, she’d stay there until spring. Of course in the spring, you could push her back in on the rollers without the horse. But, it was an awful - a very seaworthy boat, but it was a miserable thing. It was so heavy you couldn’t pull it in and out and you had to anchor it - if the wind was blowing you had to anchor it off shore and finally I got so I used to - I’d leave it across on the other side in that guzzle over there - anchor it in there because in there it was protected from the wind and then I’d go back and forth with the canoe.

John H. Dudley: Yes.

John M. Dudley: To get it. The only trouble was, the - if you got a big rainstorm - she did have a hood on her that covered perhaps half of the open part, but the back half wasn’t covered and if you got a big rain and the water got up in her so it was up six or seven inches - seven or eight inches - high enough so it would go into the base of the engine - it would go into the base of the engine and flood all the oil out and you’d have this mixture of oil and water all over. Then, you’d have to drain the base of the engine out to get the water and gunk out of it and then refill it with oil again. That was always an awful nuisance.

John H. Dudley: Now, in that time - at that time, that would be what in the 1920s?

John M. Dudley: Yes.

John H. Dudley: At that time, what was the level of the lake. It was higher - higher than now or lower? Or higher?

John M. Dudley: Some time in the ‘20s - I cannot remember the exact date - it would be available if someone wanted to dig it up. Bangor Hydro, the electric company, put in a hydro-electric plant down at East Machias and they built a dam - rebuilt the old dam up here at the foot of Crawford Lake, Pokey Dam. And, when they did that, they held this water up at a level which was probably three or four feet higher than it is right now. Now, prior to the Bangor Hydro dam, the old river-driving dam was in there, but it wasn’t being used too much. The last drive that went down the river was in 1919 and even before 1919 when they were using that dam for river driving, the dam would be closed in in the fall when they were using it - they’d close it in in the fall and let the water build up so they’d have a good head of water for the drive and when that water was built up - when she was full the water would be clear up to the top of this ledge over here by the flag pole - be up there as high as where those two white birches are growing. In other words it would be six, seven feet higher than it is now. And, it would be held up that high - (indistinct words) getting higher through the winter - a little bit - in the spring - when you got your thaw in the spring - your snow run-off and rain that’s when she’d get up, and then of course they’d open up the gate and let the drive out, and the water would go down and in the summer - during the late spring and summer the water would go down so it got down as far as the bed log in the dam and the water would be - well 18 inches, possibly two feet lower than it is now in the summer. It would be down - you could go down the river in a canoe or the boat and you could land - you’d have mud banks on both sides. Instead of marsh on the sides you had meadows and you could land and you could walk around on those - dry - dry meadows. And, of course while that Bangor Hydro dam was in the water stayed up most of the time except when they needed it down at Machias. You never knew when they were going to open the dam up. And, that dam stayed there for a number of years, and then in 19 - middle ‘30s - 1935 or ‘36 - ‘6, I guess, the old dam went out and the new dam was built there and the water level has been stabilized ever since then - stabilized of course for 50 years.

John H. Dudley: Whatever happened to that boat?

John M. Dudley: That boat - I sold the boat for $10.00.

John H. Dudley: $10.00.

John M. Dudley: Sold it to Willie Woodruff. At that time he was trapping eels down here and I wanted to get rid of the thing because I had bought a square stern canoe and an outboard which was much easier to handle.

John H. Dudley: Is that the boat that - that - I can just barely remember.

John M. Dudley: Could be. The old Wildcat.

John H. Dudley: The Wildcat, yes.

John M. Dudley: Yes. I have quite a few pictures of it amongst these old pictures.

John H. Dudley: Now, so your father came out here for moose hunting and duck hunting and up to Grand Lake for fishing. Where else did he go hunting?

John M. Dudley: Well, he - he used to go - he’d go deer - of course he used to go - he liked to hunt partridge and woodcock. Of course, for those you went to wherever the covers were. You’d get in your car and you’d drive around to where the various coveys were - here in Alexander, the old Charlotte road used to be good. That was before they had the restaurant out there, and Cooper. Up a little bit, maybe up as far as Topsfield. The old pastures and places like that were good woodcock covers. He used to go deer hunting every fall. I don’t know why he never hunted out here, but he never did. He never hunted near here. He liked to go over down on the Smith Ridge or on the East Ridge there in Cooper. He did - for several years he went up here on Big Lake and went from Princeton up to a logging camp up there on Little Musquash and hunted up there. I can remember one year they went up there and everything froze up and they had to walk back out. They couldn’t go by water any more. He never did. The only other place that I can remember that he ever - one year he did go fishing - two or three or four years he went up and fished on the Restigouche